Synchronising Dlive, Macbook with Reaper & utrack24

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Synchronising Dlive, Macbook with Reaper & utrack24

This topic contains 21 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of wugang wugang 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of outside-the-box
    outside-the-box
    Participant

Hello folks 🙂

This is my first post here, so welcome everyone.
    So lately i have started to tour with some band. They use Cymatic U-track24 to run the playbacks, clicks & SMPTE.
    U-track happens to have MIDI OUT port and I just wonder if my idea will work.

Long story short, I wanted to implement MIDI track in Utrack, and connect it to my Dlive & my macbook with Reaper.
    What I want to achieve?

I want u-track to change my scenes in dlive and also start simulteanious recording and backup tracks to play from Reaper (via DVS & Dante card)
    Is it possible to do that using TCP/IP?? U-track have only standard 5pin midi out port, and it happens to be on the stage.
    Do I need additional Computer?? or is ther a midi to ethernet converter to connect with control port in CDM??
    Sorry if my question is a bit confusing, but I hope someone has an answer for that 🙂

Have a good Day

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Hey there. Have a look at bomebox. I think this device could solve your requests.

Yep BomeBox is the correct interface for that *unless* you want to just use TCP midi driver over the network, and have reaper spit out the commands that way. I’m pretty positive you could accomplish that with SWS *or* just build midi triggers in to your tracks. (Say you wanted a panic button or something, SWS might be useful for issuing that kind of command.)

..you don’t technically need the Bome Box if you’re running the TCP driver. I rely on TCP for communications between dLive and Live Professor pretty consistently. It’s been rock solid for me.

One thing that *is* nice about the Bomebox is the midi translator: If you use that you don’t have to build your specific messages in Reaper, you can use, say a particular note on/off and have “Midi Translator,” turn that in to a specific dLive command.

I use Osculator to do that for certain circumstances. (In that case changing OSC messages like “/thingy1/go” to dLive commands, but it also works for straight midi.)

Good luck!

outside-the-box
    Participant

Hello thanks for your answers. I Will check this bomebox for sure.

I Just need the utrack to be my main midi device as this device have onli midi out and I can program the Command in it sp when the drummer Will hit play it will start my shows. Can i do that?

Yes, it should work. You just need to be very specific with the midi messaging.

Issuing scene recall commands should be straight-forward, (program change,) but if you wanted to do, say, a particular fader or send level, (I’m thinking delay swell/feedback moment type programming,) That is a super-specific NRPN message you’ll have to program on the uTrack, which might be a bit more complicated. It all depends on how deep you can go with message formatting ON the uTrack.

outside-the-box
    Participant

Thank You for Your answer 😉 It gives me more to think. Is it possible to use utrack only as a midi starter for reaper and then reaper will send scene changes to dlive console??

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

It gives me more to think. Is it possible to use utrack only as a midi starter for reaper and then reaper will send scene changes to dlive console??

what is the goal of this?
    send a midi command from the console to reaper for the start then the DAW can send what ever you want

outside-the-box
    Participant

You missed my point. I need Utrack 24 to activate the whole chain as this playback machine have only midi out. So when the drummer hit play on it I need it to send a midi command to Reaper to start, and then reaper should send scene changes to the dlive console.

SteffenR
    Participant

yes I miss your point and still do
    what is your problem with sending MIDI messages to the desk?

uTrack has network out, dLive has network in… still don’t get it

outside-the-box
    Participant

Hey 🙂

Steffen Let me be more clear. I just want utrack to start the midi session in reaper. As reaper session is my backup session if utrack fails, I need Reaper ( NOT utrack) to send commands to change scenes in dlive. I am new to midi so this is why I am asking maybe stupid questions 🙂

SteffenR
    Participant

you can send what ever is needed from Reaper
    Reaper can send everything what is possible in MIDI protocol

there is no need for Bome Box or other things since Reaper is able to send MIDI over TCP/IP
    and this depends on the computer used

dLive Documents

outside-the-box
    Participant

Correct me if I am wrong but I do need a bomebox to get standard midi signal via din-5 and connect it to dlive CDM48 TCP/IP Midi port (ethernet).

Here I have attached a simple diagram with signal and command flows

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    SteffenR
    Participant

Nope….Network
    Networ means everything is in a network
    so whatever you want to send to start something you can send it directly

btw. LP has a cue list exactly for this

SteffenR
    Participant

and one more thing
    you need to synchronize your backup to your playback

outside-the-box
    Participant

How can i send midi from utrack directly to the reaper if they are 70m away?? The only gateway to do this and not to spend more money on more cables and interfaces, etc is to send it via dlive tcp/IP midi. Plus starting with midi shouldn’t give me a synchronisation?? or the latency would be to big??

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.