Switch gate to comp/limiter

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Switch gate to comp/limiter

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Wolfgang Wolfgang 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

In certain situations it would be necessary to have a limiter before a compressor. Think about a very dynamic vocal, for example. Right now, it makes no sense to use one of those wonderful deep plugin compressors, that change ratio with input level on a channel like this, although these compressor models would be perfect otherwise.

About 18 month ago, there was a feature request to be able to use deep plugins in the FX rack. I would rather prefer switching the gate to a compressor/limiter, as long as inserting something from the FX rack adds more latency to a channel. The “standard” peak/RMS compressor (which are not standard at all to my ears) would be totally sufficient for that task.

Any thoughts?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

maybe you should change your ears…?

the deep plugins are made for this, just pick the right one

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Probably you didn’t get my question, or I was unable to ask it correctly… 🤷‍♂️

I would like to get 2 compressors on a row, absolutely nothing wrong with my ears 😂

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

I do not really understand the question either.
    For example, you can use two Dyn8s and one compressor per channel. That would even make three compressors – and the gate would still be usable.

Profile photo of RS
    RS
    Participant

Dyn8 is indeed a idea I haven’t thought about thoroughly. If you can’t see the obvious….
    Forced out of this business for 8 month and I forgot everything, sigh

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

Do not be sad.
    Next year we will surely be able to practice a lot again – live! 😉

In the meantime you can also use multi-track recordings as VirtualSoundcheck to stay a little bit fit. 🙂

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.