Switch Aux to Matrix

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu feature suggestions Switch Aux to Matrix

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 28 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 8 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of LK
    LK
    Participant

Matrix would be so great on QU-16. (instead of some Mixes)

Please do it, it would be outstanding helpful.

I would pay for it, but i don’t want a larger desk!

Thanks for your attention!

Nearly every job I miss this feature!
    I workaround with analog looping Main to Inputs or do it with post-Aux.

Both sucks. Second solution I got no post-Main possibility!

Please give it to us! 😉

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

QuPac?

Matrixes on a 16 channel desk is a little overkill for the vast majority of the target market.

From what you’ve said before I’d suggest that an outboard processor (racked with your amps) is probably a better solution.

Profile photo of LK
    LK
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.

No, I dont think its an “overkill”:

Theres a (big) world beside the typical Live-Band-Show.

I got often a situation likes this:
    A handful Wireless-Mics for discussion/presentation for example and a Stereo-Input (Keynote)
    (typical industrial job)

The venue needs a delay-line an there is a secondray-room the audio-signal should be transmitted to.
    (Or a broadcast company would like to have a audio signal)

I often got really really little space for my gear. (Best thing to keep it all behind presentation-screen or in a niche)

Why should I use a bigger desk? 16 Channles are more than enough an I got 19″ rack-dimension – PERFECT!

I do jobs like these nearly every week.

I want to have “hardware-faders” – I did “racked” processing in the past (iLive Mixrack)
    I had sometimes trouble loosing Wifi-connection (venues with much Wifi-traffic)

For this reason I want to have a “manual” backup that allows quick access to faders to avoid feedback and so on.
    (Thats my experience over years as an full-time tech)

I dont think it would be “very hard” to give us the feature of a Matrix instead of a Aux-Mix.
    I would pay for it, I would even buy other hardware, but the main features (dimensions, fader quantity, usability, sound,…) of the QU-16 are really perfect for my usage.

So I think its legit to express my desire of a matrix/ matrices, I know there are many other guys with the same desire!

(I know there are workarounds because I use them, but they are little annoying, its a thing that should be able to be implemented with a relative simple firmware update)

Thanks for your attention!

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

I Second LK’s opinion! Please enable this function.

Thankyou.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Press feeds etc are simple copies, so Alt out already covers that. There is an argument (and a request somewhere) to add a delay to the alt-out DAC for single delay line options.

But if you are looking for delay lines, and only using a couple of channels, then why not loop to an ST input, then you can have all the axes as copies of the main mix?

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

Maybe I should ask this elsewhere, but how does a Matrix help you? It seems you can set any mix to post fade and get what you need from it. If not, please suggest someplace I can go to learn about matix outputs…

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

A Matrix takes a feed from an output, not the inputs. So a matrix feed already has processing on it like EQ & Comp/Limiter etc…

Also using the Alt Output is not enough as i’m usually asked for around 6 press feeds… But at least it has an Alt Out.
    I agree about the Alt Out Delay… should be easy firmware update!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

We carry press mult boxes for that. 1×12 passive transformer ISO.

Profile photo of LK
    LK
    Participant

In practice I sometimes use the masterfader for level-control. Not the channelfader. That´s why sometimes I cant see if someone is grabbing one of lets say 6 or 8 Wireless-Mics and cant identifiy it fast and clearly. If I want to control the level really fast – master is the best way. The broadcast guy is not so delighted of this – of course, becuase of shift of level of ambient noise for example.

You can argue “dont do this” etc etc
    Im payed for best live sound and so I do at my best.

A matrix pre-master-fader is in my opinion the best choice for press feeds.

Yes I CAN give them Alt out, or a main-split – of course – thats not the main problem.

A delay in Alt out would really help, but give me EQ too please – tomorrow I have a nearfill with an other type of speaker….for example
    -> so give me a Matrix and Im happy.

I DO loop it to ST input – thats the way I work at the moment.

But I dont like it:
    1. I dont like the extra cable
    2. Im afraid of accidently feed the input to main and cause a “hardware-feedback”

Basically:
    Why are you trying to invalidate my arguments.
    Its an individual thing.
    Yes – I can do everything I need (thats the reason I bought the mixer) but give me a Matrix and Id be really happy! 😉

@Lou:

Sorry, I dont think you understood how exactly a matrix works.

A matrix takes the signal from an output – “main” is the most important.
    And in ideal case i can choose it to be pre/post main-fader.

Main-EQ for example effects the matrix. Thats not possible in your scenario.

Matrices would ease my work – believe it or not – for any reaosn the QU-24 and 32 HAVE matrices – think about it!
    Why – if nobody needs it?

@gcumbee:
    I dont have so much pressfeeds, its just one example.
    Nearfills AND delaylines AND pressfeeds can all be done really good with matrices in my personal opinion and workflow.

Thanks!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Excuse me. I meant no intent of invalidating your point. I was just saying how I do it. That does not invalidate you. And yes I do know how matrices work. I have been in this business over 40yrs. Have done everything you can imagine. From small events. Presidents, Popes and network TV.

Profile photo of Lou
    Lou
    Participant

And I was not sating nobody needs it, just wanted to understans more. At the club I work, with Soundcraft Vi4, the matrix feeds a bunch of different outs – lobby, upstairs, record buss, web feed, etc, but i didn’t set it up, I just mix the show! Thanks.

Profile photo of LK
    LK
    Participant

@gcumbee:
    You were of course NOT invaliding my arguments. I didnt supposed you not to know how a matrix works, but Lou.

@Lou:
    That wasnt meant nasty, it was an assumption because of the idea to use postfader Mix instead of a matrix.

Sorry to you both guys – it wasnt my intention to insult you.

I was a little upset about Bobs statement and english is obviously not my first language – sorry for that!

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Apologies – not quite sure which bit upset you, but I’m sorry.

Your English is better than my ${language}

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Thanks. No apology necessary. We’re good.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.