Sweeping. Swirling sound

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Sweeping. Swirling sound

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of MarkPAman MarkPAman 1 year, 9 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rocketman
    Rocketman
    Participant

I am using a Qu16. On occasions such as last night when doing sound check I am getting a sweeping, swirling sound on various mics and instruments in the background. Tried turning all the effects completely off & it was still there. Tried changing the microphones, still there. The night before it was fine. Has anyone else encounter this issue? Any insight would be muchly appreciated.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

It sound like you have something feeding / sending back into itself through a mix
    or FX send or return.

When you turned off the effects was it at the FX return or at the FX send.

Do you hear in headphones?
    Can you hear directly at the channel if you PFL the channel and listen.
    Is there any outboard equipment connected to the mixer.

Rocketman
    Participant

I turned the effects off via each person’s effect return…

the drummer uses a roland module, and my self and the other guitarist run Fractal axe 3 and fractal Ax8… no other outboard equipment…

I never tried to see if I could hear it via headphones through the PFL…

My drummer plugs his headphones in his roland module and we send him monitor mix via aux send1, and he has heard it… it doesn’t do it all the time..

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I’ve had that happen when the monitors were very loud (in a rather small concrete boxy room). Try lowering the monitorvolume.

Good luck.

Giga

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

By chance is the Roland drum module mixing the monitor send your supplying
    from the mixer back into the modules output, that would create problems.
    Some of drum modules I’ve seen that have an aux input there is a way to mix
    that input into the modules output.

An easy test would to mute the drum monitor mix master or just unplug the cable
    and see what happens.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Sounds like you’re describing a flanger or phaser output.

It could also be a phase relation between multiple microphones. As suggested PFL single channels, but then also PFL groups of channels. When you add multiples does the sound come back? Add a few ms of delay to the front mics, and see if it goes away.

Rocketman
    Participant

I am going to try some of your guys suggestion this coming weekend and will give everyone and update… thanks so much for all the feedback and suggestions…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Just wondering what you found out.

Rocketman
    Participant

Well I never found out what the cause is. Some nights it does it and some nights it doesn’t. Last night it was doing it… sounded like everything was in a can and I had a slight phaser effect on everything… I turned off all the vocal compressors, and effects… but it’s not just on vocals it’s on the instruments also… its crazy idk… when it does it the next time I’m going to try and do a hard reset and start from scratch to see if that gets rid of it… I wondering if it Maybe the electricity its drawing from the wall outlets… we play in alot of these old clubs where the wiring has 2 or 3 different grounds and hasn’t been updated in 20yrs…I appreciate the input and all the help…

Thank u,
    Rocky

Rocketman
    Participant

Also we use IEM and the guys told me last night they could hear it in there IEM mixes…

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

Maybe you can do multitrack recordings to at least determine if it’s electrical or acoustical if that makes sense…

Giga

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Is this one venue or many different ones? Sounds as if it may be more than one…….

Is there an induction loop hearing aid system anywhere near by?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.