Suitable WiFi Access point (2015)

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Suitable WiFi Access point (2015)

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Smalltown Jim Smalltown Jim 8 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Smalltown Jim
    Smalltown Jim
    Participant

Hi All, Recently my WiFi AP that I used decided to reset itself to factory during a gig, So I’m going to buy a new one; I’d like to use a reliable device (not cheap and cheerful) So as WiFi products move on a-pace can you guys recommend device I’d like one that allows the use of an external antenna, I’ve read some other helpful info on here too about preventing WiFi drop out to the iPad app, in busy rooms (which has happened to me); So easy configurabilty is important.

One additional question I’ve read about Prioritising WiFi network traffic using QoS options on the router, has anyone gone down this road of advanced tweaking and has helpful advice?

Thanks,

Jim

Profile photo of rasweig
    rasweig
    Participant

I have been using the Cisco/linksys 6500 series, and i have three of them for each of my ilive rigs.
    Personally i have problems with ipad in busy rooms, so i don’t use that anymore. Gave it to my wife to watch movies at home while I am working a show.
    I am sort of a laptop geek/freak anyhow so i use 2 Thinkpads (one hard wired to the IDR at Monitor world) and one with a “better” wifi radio at FOH for my mix. for more “surface area” I use an attached USB monitor which gives me a second screen. I don’t use the R72 console anymore, (want to buyit?) mostly because i get lazy i suppose.

I was quite concerned/mystified about the performance degrading throuhout the show. One theory is that as the crowd fills up, people will be hitting you WAP trying to upload crap to facebook and Youtube. So at a minimum password protect your WAP and more importantly “hide” the AP in your WAP settings.

The other thing is that when i am using the dante card for recording, it seems to really keep the IDR engine busy. performance to the console/wap suffered. If i was pulling all of this traffic through a smart switch i suppose it would be worth setting Qos, but i just “home run the MACBOOK to the dante interface for recording and my Thinkpad T420s (with SSD) to the network port for IDr control. I run about 150 shows per year and this setup has been great.

FWIIW, i have played with about ever other digital console editor software. IMHO the Ilive editor is the best. I have not found any other gear that gives me the quality of sound, and capability of the Ilive series. ONe my bucket list is to make enough money to by a Dlive, but again, i may only want the stage racks. The con
    sole wheras it is pretty, won’t fit in my laptop case. 🙂

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

If you are using a dedicated Network then QOS offers nothing.

I have used routers/APs from £17 to £2700 and all have worked well… My current ‘in the case’ AP is £17

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

My son had a Belkin F7D2301 b-g-N router ($40) he no longer needed, so I decided to test it with our QU32 and my iPad. The antennas are internal to the plastic router case. I have found that it works fine in our auditorium as well as in our foyer. The distances are around 50 ft, but the foyer is on the floor below the balcony where the mixer and router sit, and the signal must traverse some walls.

I have not had any issues with this inexpensive mixer, but it is dedicated to the mixer – secured and no other traffic.

I think one should consider the critical nature of this application plus the need for reliability and thus use the router for only the mixer. Secure it so one one else can access it. I don’t think the nature of this application requires a very high speed, expensive mixer, but one does need to consider distance and interfering structures that may impact the reception.

I don’t think that this application is a priority for A&H, as they have very little information on the topic on the web site, and very few updates regarding routers, for example.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

The application has had a significant amount of Dev work recently, so I don’t know why you think it isn’t a priority…

Agree that a dedicated router is a good thing in a production environment – I also turn off other data sources on the iDevice…

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

Bob,

I really goofed a couple of times in my previous reply – I used ‘mixer’ when I meant ‘router’ – I hope my message was understood!

I based my statement about wi-fi support on the following document:
    Router Guide

That document is dated in 2013, but when I commented about it previously, I was told that is updated from time to time. However, I find the data to be rather outdated – they speak of a Cisco 1262N Wireless Access Point which sells for anywhere from $500 to $1200, depending on the configuration you get. The hardware configuration you need is difficult to determine, and A&H offers no guidance about it. I see no other router mentioned. At least they do give some guidance about the requirements a router should meet and how it should be set up.

I’ve seen comments in the forum about other routers that work, but finding these posts is problematic, and the circumstances of use is never described in detail.

You’ve used this equipment and been in these forums longer than I. Perhaps you can point us to the results of the Dev-work you mentioned.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Maybe its time for another sticky thread, since this topic came up from time to time: Qu Networking (should cover both WiFi and dSnake/IP sharing).
    One WiFi router frequently referred is the Apple AirPort Express, which additionally provides AirPlay.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

In terms of the dev work just look at 1.8 versus 1.5

There is access to so many more features of the mixer.

The WAP question is interesting – it’s where I earn my bread and butter (not the RF side, the IP side) and frankly pretty much any modern router will do the job (I’ve already mentioned that I use a £17 WAP – I do have an external antenna though, and I don’t use it’s little stubby antenna, I have a small ground plane whip).

The airplay feature can be really useful to some, but the IP side should be fine on anything. I tend to have 4 QuYou connections and 2 QuPad connections over this thing, so I’m nearing the capacity of the QU…

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

So A&H has put out no new information regarding WiFi and Router support – right?

Another good router is the Apple Airport Extreme. It has 6 internal antennas, which might be good for difficult reception situations, but is probably a bit too expensive and overkill for some.

Smalltown Jim
    Participant

Hi all, Thanks for your input and thought on this and yes I agree some input from A&H in the form of some helpful technical product suggestions and a little WiFi research would help a lot of us make informed purchasing decisions.

I have been doing a bit of my own research into suitable WiFi products too; I have a fair bit of RF technical awareness and know that a collection of mobile devices all trying to connect to a visible WiFi AP can potentially overload the onborad system of typical domestic WiFi access points etc, So I always hide the devices SSID And incorporate other tweaks like setting the security to allow connections to known MAC (hardware) address only.

A few people have recommended the Stage Router by NowSonic, see https://nowsonic.com/en/products/live/stage-router/
    I could be very interested in this device for larger venues; but in smaller venues like bars/pubs often space is lacking and a smaller plastic Access point that I can tape/cable-tie to a nearby vertical surface or sit on a narrow ledge is my only easy option; I’m currently trying to find out if I can add external antennas to NowSonic device, so it is also a contender.
    In the past I’ve also used supposedly pro-grade APs from Zyxel and some higher end domestic Tp-Link products And I always seem to find that within just a couple of years the WiFi signal becomes intermittent even in areas with little other RF activity like our workshop or a in my own home. So I’d really like to own a couple of APs that are considered robust etc. .. I’m very tempted to try some of the suggested Apple products; I used to like Linksys products but I don’t hear much about their range these days.

Smalltown Jim
    Participant

I should add that the above linked article on WiFi Router guide is helpful of A&H somehow I missed it on my first read of the replys. ..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.