Suggestions for surge protection

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Suggestions for surge protection

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 2 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Rich H
    Rich H
    Participant

Greetings all, I am looking for suggestions for adding better surge protection for my QU32. We had a recent wind event and found that following that, the board was just off. I ended up resetting it and it is happy now. But given that I suspect something spiked to the system, I have to imagine my current protection just isn’t enough. (To be fair, it isn’t much – basic office supply surge bar). What do you all use/recommend on your setup?

The setup is not super complex. The feed does come from a power sequencer that supplies almost everything in the setup. There is a computer that is not on the sequencer, but is on the same ground.

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant

I use Furmann’s for everything. It’s a bit of an investment but I’ve never regretted it.

Giga

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If you lost power for a second or so you would need a UPS “uninterruptible power supply”
    that the mixer would be plugged into.
    In your case with the power sequencer the UPS would need to be before the power sequencer.

A power surge spike in voltage or a brown out a dip in the voltage a voltage regulator would help take care of that, actually some UPS’s would take care of that as well.

Profile photo of Rich H
    Rich H
    Participant

Hmm, the amps are on the sequencer. Can you put a UPS on an amplifier?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Hmm, the amps are on the sequencer. Can you put a UPS on an amplifier?

If the UPS has the current / amp capacity for the power draw of the audio power amp.
    Keep in mind the power draw of a power amp varies with the level it is being ran at,
    louder levels will draw more current and the UPS will need to handle the peaks that
    the amp could draw with out tripping.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.