Suggested Effects Settings for Live Music

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Suggested Effects Settings for Live Music

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 9 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Barryjam
    Barryjam
    Participant

I will begin cover band gigging with the QU-16 in May. I would greatly appreciate hearing from other users about suggestions for effects settings in a live music context. Think weddings and corporate parties. What have you found to be good starting effects settings for Effects 1 & 2 and inserts 3 & 4. What do you like for vocals, reverb and/or delay settings and levels? What about drums or other instruments?

I know I have to edit to taste. But rather than learn totally from mistakes, I’d prefer to at least learn what others have discovered.

Thanks in advance.

Profile photo of DMAudio
    DMAudio
    Participant

I was very surprised at the sheer quality of the effects on my QU-16, and haven’t really strayed too far from the default Reverb and Delay. Depending on the room, I’ll use a little of reverb and delay on vox, and a little reverb on kick and snare.

It’s worth spending a little time at home just listening to a vocal or instrument track and going through all the effects to see the ones you like, then set them up on FX1&2. Once you’re at your venue, just mix in and fine tune to taste.

FX1 – SMR Reverberator
    FX2 – 2 Tap Delay (linked)

Hope that helps.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I like the EMT 250 reverb and 2 Tap delay. Feel those work best on most things. You might just want two reverbs if delay not need. Medium or long and a short.

As a longtime pro studio owner I have owned some of the best verbs made including 480Ls, real plates etc. I once said I bought about every new reverb that came out. About broke me.

One thing I did notice on the EMT was it sounded a bit different than on the GLD. Had a little more short reflection pops when you say popped your tongue on the mic or made a clicking sound. Not as smooth of a decay profile. I went into the extra advanced settings. I think it is the diffusion setting. Not having console handy to check I think it defaults at 12 and I raised it to 20 and that problem went away. Decay was smoother. A few tweaks on the HF and LF and it sounds very good. AH did a great job on the verbs on these products.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.