Suddenly started taking several minutes to boot up

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD troubleshooting Suddenly started taking several minutes to boot up

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Branimir Branimir 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bartman
    Bartman
    Participant

This past Saturday I setup for a morning gig and everything was normal, did the proper shutdown and then went to the next location to setup that evening, and when powering on as usual, it failed to boot and the screen showed “fsck from util-linux 2.19.1″, then next line was /dev/sda1: clean, 57014/112896 files, 376595/451327 blocks” and then the rest of the screen was full of British pound symbols. This stayed on the screen for only a second (I took a picture) and then went to blank screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner. I tried restarting the board a couple times and still doing the same thing. I decided to let it sit like that to see if it would eventually finish booting up and it did after about 4 minutes. It performed fine once finally booted up.

At the end of the day, I tried shutting down and booting up again, and it did the same thing with taking 4 minutes to fully boot up.

Any ideas what could suddenly cause it to take so long to boot up now? Is this a symptom of the system about to crash?

Currently running Firmware v1.60 – REV. 37392
    I see there is an updated version to 1.61, so I’ll try that first, but no mention of any kind of fix in the release notes for anything like I’m experiencing. Also, diagnostics log doesn’t show anything unusual.

Profile photo of Branimir
    Branimir
    Participant

Have you used the wifi router with the console beforehand?

If you set up the ip address to static and tried booting the console while the router is not physically connected, it makes the console boot up too long, I think it is documented somewhere on the forums, I personally had the same issue on the 1.6 version of the firmware.
    Once boot up, set it to DHCP and it boots normally.

I’m not sure if the problem persists with 1.61, but the 1.6 is rock solid firmware, and 1.61. had only minor updates regarding automixer and connecting the offline editor on Mac.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

As Branimir noted, it’s probably a DHCP thing. If no network containing a DHCP server is connected to the GLD set a STATIC IP, and it will boot fast.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Mine has always booted slow even set to DHCP. Didn’t do that when I first got it in 2012 but after a few updates it started. Now I just turn it on and go do something else while it boots up.

Profile photo of Bartman
    Bartman
    Participant

I didn’t bother connecting the router that evening since I wasn’t planning on using the iPad remote. I will connect the router regardless whether I plan to remote use or not and see if that makes any difference. Makes sense now that it is waiting for DHCP and eventually times-out and finishes booting.
    Thanks!

Profile photo of Branimir
    Branimir
    Participant

Set the console to static IP, just checked mine, it’s on static, and boots up normally.

ip

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.