Submixes split to mains for parallel comp on band only

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Submixes split to mains for parallel comp on band only

This topic contains 27 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Ludwig Ludwig 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

@ “What more could you want?” …there’s always more WANT! 🙂

Profile photo of MasterLufier
    MasterLufier
    Participant

And “group to group” paradigm is will break Allen&Heath concept and other live mixing consoles schemes, which have group/aux/master/matrix, and will have only multi-function “BUS” for everything.

However is possible will be make groups layers in mixer config. It’s more easily to use and understand. For example, groups of layer one can route to groups of layer two, layer two – to three, and so on.

MasterLufier
    Participant

I’m sorry. I’m right understand, that you routing:
    `
    drums channels -> drum group(comp) -> main(mastering comp) -> matrixes on PA,SUB,FILL,REC bla-bla-bla…
    band channels -> band group(comp) -^ ^
    Lavs/media ch -> group (W/O comp) —————————————|

What’s i missed?

MasterLufier
    Participant

Sorry, forum engine damaged my text scheme. I hope you will understand.

Nah, you got it. I understand that you understand that I understand. …or something like that. At any rate, yes, that is the thing that I want. Per your earlier, “parallel comp on every channel,” comment: That’s the more I want. Just that thing, in particular. Nothing more, nothing less: Summing order is what I’m most concerned about; and if I can do that in a way that respects/takes into consideration phase coherency, it would be ideal. Sort of like downmixing stems in studio, then mixing the stems to a master sum, only I have stuff I don’t want in the master sum, but do want to run it parallel.

@ MasterLufier – Aux to Group sort of worked, then bugged out! I think it’s probably not really “supported,” and that you can assign aux to a group is a bit of an Easter Egg. IE – I loaded up my show today, assigned drums to aux, assigned drum aux to band subgroup, assigned band subgroup to mains, turned on PAFL on mains to trace the path, and it was fine. Used cans @ stage mixrack PAFL location, traced the PAFL and it was fine, then I pulled up dLive Director on a laptop and it bugged out. PAFL died on that path, so I traced back to make sure signal was properly routed @ every step. PAFL to Aux worked fine, Aux ASSIGNED to group, then PAFL Group = Notsomuch.

I hate to say it, but Pete has the right solution for this one. I’m going to have to burn my LR buss as “Band,” and use a Matrix as my master.

Played around a bit with show/unskilled user logins, and the nice thing is at least I can completely rearrange this convoluted arrangement so it’s not an issue for volunteers when they come in!

MasterLufier
    Participant

Yeah, i’m confirmation, it’s bug. Sometimes it’s working, sometimes not. Thank you for this discussion. I hope, It’s will be help for solution

Yes, great discussion! Thanks for everyone’s insight. While I would definitely prefer the group–>Group thing, Burning the LR buss works just as well.

Profile photo of Bryhawks
    Bryhawks
    Participant

Agreed, good discussion. I’m a new sound op and A&H user, so bear with me as I ask: if FX returns can be routed to a group, could you burn an FX channel by routing all drums to it, set the effect to 100% dry, and sending that FX return to your ‘rest of band’ group for your full-band mix?

@ Bry – FX returns can definitely be routed into a group. Two big issues going that route though: A) you burn a stereo FX unit/buss for no reason in particular. b) There is no phase/delay compensation on FX returns, so you are guaranteed to have at least some small issues going that route. Better to burn LR and re-config your “Master,” as matrix under the current limitations. (Because you’re at least guaranteed delay compensation.)

Profile photo of Bryhawks
    Bryhawks
    Participant

Thanks for the edumacation, TCMG. I agree, and now I understand better why.

Profile photo of Ludwig
    Ludwig
    Participant

We did this one using AES on the surface and worked fine!

Profile photo of Ludwig
    Ludwig
    Participant

To ThatComplicated MidiGuy

I’d thought about doing an analogue i/o run to outboard, but I’d rather not introduce another d/a + a/d conversion; I mean, it’s a tiny amount of additional latency, but still. Groups—>Groups is definitely the way to go.

– We did this one using AES on the surface and worked fine!

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.