Sub-mixes in OneMix??

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Sub-mixes in OneMix??

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Lishinsky Lishinsky 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Good afternoon folks!

Just finished up my first long weekend with our new dLive system. We have a dm48 and cdm32 connected via DANTE with distro to/from multiple locations and a DSP server. For monitoring we are using a combination of me-1 for our hard-wired locations, and aux busses routed directly to wireless IEM transmitters, which are then controlled via OneMix on iPads.

So here’s the thing: I want to sub-mix the drums as a pre-fader mix, then map that overall mix channel to the iPads for simplified drum level controls for the performers. I thought I could do it with an aux originally, but you can only have one aux per iPad in OneMix. (This makes sense because of the program architecture.) When I realized that I thought, “Okay, I’ll just use a group.” As it turns out you *can’t* send an aux to a group, but you can send a group to an aux. Bummer. So then I thought, “Okay, I’ll use a matrix.” …but you can’t map a matrix to OneMix.

I don’t want any FOH changes to affect drum IEM mix whatsoever. As of right now I’ve had to use a group that is a drum sub-mix going to mains (fed by the drum input channels.) It’s not ideal, and they will hear any mix changes we make.

There are two obvious work-arounds that I can see:

1) duplicate all the drum channels, mark them as IEM channels, set up a static mix to a group, and never ever touch those channels again. Map the group to the iPad controllers. I don’t like that solution particularly because I have to burn 9 channels to make that happen. Yes, I have 128; it still is a waste.

2) Send the Drum sub mix AUX path OUT of Dante, then back in on another DANTE input, and map that DANTE input to a stereo input channel. – I don’t like that because it adds a potential failure point that won’t be easily remedied by most of our volunteers.

Any thoughts on how better to have a sub-mix routed to a single fader in OneMix?

Thanks folks!

Profile photo of tpaulding
    tpaulding
    Participant

It seems like solution 1 is the best way. We do this with vocal inputs weekly, not to create a group for IEMs but to allow us to effect the vocals in the house mix differently without distracting the vocalists.

I know you don’t like it because of the channel count, but as you stated, you have 128. That’s a huge number and short of having a separate monitor desk, I feel like it IS the way to do it and fairly standard.

That being said, it is easy for me to also think: “A&H could just add a couple lines of code to let AUXs and Matrices show up on One Mix.”

Profile photo of Lishinsky
    Lishinsky
    Participant

You can send the drums to an unused FX send mono or stereo witch ever you need (pre fader), then put that effect on bypass, and its return will become a drum mix you can further send to Auxes.

I think I’d rather burn channels than burn an FX buss though. In the long run, that seems like more of a waste than 8 channels for drums. I have infinitely more of those than I do busses.

Profile photo of Lishinsky
    Lishinsky
    Participant

You Dont need to physically go out of the console.
    in my case even if i need all 128 channels i dont use all 16 effects.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.