Sub Mix XLR Outputs to Boss RC-505 inputs

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Sub Mix XLR Outputs to Boss RC-505 inputs

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 16 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of sld777
    sld777
    Participant

I would like to send a sub mix from QU-16 to Boss RC-505?

Which input on the Boss RC-505 would work best for sound quality?

Choices are XLR mic input, 2 x 1/4 inch stereo input or 3.5 mm aux input.

I would rather not use adapters if possible.

Thanks!

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@sld777

You should ask this in a Boss forum.

My SWAG is that the 0.25″ stereo would work best.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I wired up a system for a friend of mine using a Boss RC300 looper.
    What inputs are you using directly into the looper like from a vocal mic, guitar
    or you planning to only use sub mixes from the QU16 to feed the loop recordings?

If you are planning to only use the QU16’s sub mixes to feed the looper you a few choices.
    You could use the mic input but you would need an in line pad to bring the mixers line level output down closer to mic level.
    This would work, I would not plug directly into the mic jack on the looper as it would
    stick out and be easy to break the jack, put it inline with a couple standard XLR cables.
    You want to get at least the 30db version
    Whirlwind in line pad

You can also the instrument inputs, though they are set up for unbalanced inputs, chances are you could just get an XLR female to 1/4 cable and be fine.
    The QU mixers have the ALT OUT that is on 1/4 jacks so guitar cable could patch from the ALT OUT to the instrument inputs.
    The ALT OUT routing it selected in the IO menu page.

The looper AUX input could be used as well but the AUX input is a stereo input on a 1/8 inch tip ring sleeve jack, you would to make up a cable to feed the same signal to both the tip and ring of the 1/8inch jack…..you can not use a straight through balanced line wired cable into a stereo input that is being fed from mono balanced output, you will get phase cancellation.

How many separate sub mixes do you want to send to the looper?
    On the RC300 system I put together we used every input on that thing and even am A B selector pedal on the mic input to select from the straight vocal mic to another input.
    We also used both of the instrument inputs but were set up internally with some tricky panning and routing to operate as two mono inputs, not sure how he programed the RC300 to do that though.

Profile photo of sld777
    sld777
    Participant

Thanks for your quick and detailed replies.

(It’s my first time using the forum. Also, I’ve been snowed under with uni assignments so apologies for my late reply).

Yes, I am planning to use sub-mixes from the QU16 rater than the ALT OUT as I have guitar, bass, vocals and many digital instruments.

Shame I can’t go from submix straight into mic input on RC505 as I already have many XLRs.

Would the volume be too loud if I went straight in?

An attenuator as you suggested would be ok if they made one that was a tiny IN/OUT box rather than an adapter.

Do you know if they make such a thing? Would the sound quality be the same as using 1/4 stereo inputs?

…So I guess the easiest solution would be a female XLR from QU16 submix to two stereo 1/4 inch into the RC505.

Something like this?

or

this?

Thanks again for your help!

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

By sub mixes I assume you mean aux/mix outs, there are seven mixes available, four mono, three stereo.

The ALT OUT can be set to be any of the outputs on the mixer if using a 1/4 inch to 1/4 cable is more convenient. That setting is in the IO set up menu.

Can you go (more or less) straight from a mix out to the mic input but you would need the
    inline pad I linked to in my other post. I’m not sure how the barrel form factor is a big deal it just plugs inline between two XLR cable. You could plug it directly into the mic input but it would stick out, having it in line between a couple cables would be safer.

With proper levels the sound would be the same either using the mic input or the 1/4 inch instrument inputs.

How many sub mixes do you want to have set up to feed into the looper, If you want to have separate sub mixes set up to feed discreet recording loops you will need to use at least the mic and one of the instrument line inputs.

The cable in your link would work to go from a mix out to the instrument inputs.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

I have owned RC300 and currently use an RC50
    Mike is right you can not or shouldn’t go from an output directly into the Loppers mic input.
    And definitely make sure phantom is turned OFF in the lopper mic input.
    But I’m unclear how you intend to amplify the looper sound or what’s coming out of the Looper?
    Do you just send that to power amp etc?
    OR are you intending to bring that back into the QU16? [if yes then that’s an issue!]
    I’m pretty sure the instrument inputs on the Looper are unbalanced!?
    Meaning you have to be careful about plugging an output into the instrument’s input on the looper. XLR > Jack
    So you have multiple instruments going into the QU and then out to your looper?
    Will you be using the Mic input on the looper for your vocal?
    Have you thought about using the 2 track Record output [L&R] being Jacks’ on the QU? in other words QU 2 track to instrument in [L&R] on the Looper?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

For the RC300 system I put together he wanted to do three discrete three recorded loops with each look having it’s discrete playback output so the playbacks could be mixed with the PA system front of house mixer. I don’t know how he programed the RC300 to do it but it did work.
    I did the custom pedal board, multipin cable connections, and the wiring of his equipment rack to and from the looper/pedal board.

With proper cables going from the balanced mixer outputs to the unbalanced looper inputs is not a big deal.

What are you planning to connect the looper outputs to? You could bring them back into the mixer but you would have to be careful on the mixer routing set up as to not end up
    sending the looper playback back into itself

Profile photo of sld777
    sld777
    Participant

Thanks Mike for reminding me of the XLR stereo sub mixes! I will use one of these to feed left and right 1/4 inch inputs on the RC505.

My only remaining question would be is there a way to copy the main mix straight to my sub mix?

That would help streamline the workflow.

Then I would mute all tracks in the sub mix apart from whatever I wanted to send to RC505 to loop.

Regarding looper output, I’ve been wondering how best to do this. It will be coming back into the mixer. I will mute it on the submix but then when I’m unsure of the most streamlined method. If I unmute a channel on submix to send eg keyboard I will also hear that in the LR mix at the same time. So I would need to do some quick fire muting and unmuting to keep consistent levels and uninterrupted sound.

Maybe I’ll get the cabling set up then worry about the second! 🙂

Profile photo of sld777
    sld777
    Participant

Hi xyz, thanks for your input!

Yes, I am hoping to bring send the looper’s output back into the QU16. If the 1/4 inputs on the RC505 are unbalanced in what way do I need to be careful? (Sorry all new to me)

I had not thought of using the Q16 2track to instrument!

I’m not aware of how this works. So signal wise this would mean no adapters and unbalanced output on QU16 to unbalanced input on RC505. Sounds good so far. Would I be able to send individual channels at a time or does it send everything from main mix?

Profile photo of sld777
    sld777
    Participant

Here’s a pic of what I’m working with. Thought it would be nice to share as appreciate all the help.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Ok, so you want to bring the outputs of your looper back into the QU16?
    Your Looper only has left and right LINE or instrument inputs being jacks.
    Plus 1 Mic XLR input which has switchable phantom supply
    and a mini jack which was designed to feed iPods and phones etc into the looper.
    The QU has NO subgroups so as Mike said the Aux mixes is the best way to get multi instruments into your Looper.
    You will only be able to use ONE AUX output from the QU.
    SO … you will need to learn to turn OFF those channels that your instruments that you use to the QU main left and Right output to OFF.
    So that those instruments ONLY go out through the AUX of your choice. [personally looking at your set up I would use 9/10]
    And then the outputs from the looper can be brought back into 2 channels [maybe 15/16] to go out through to your main mix being Left /Right to drive you, powered speakers.
    [The I would turn OFF those returning channels OFF into all of those AUX sends as well]
    YOU CANNOT mix the looper outputs and the instument from the QU together other wise you will end up with a comb effect and OR a massive feed back back!
    Page 37 Section 9.8
    In your scenario, I would probably turn all of the mixes to be post and turn OFF to L/R all of the channels that you want to send to your looper.
    And in your case, I would probably use AUX mix 9/10
    So to sum this up.
    Say you wanted 12 channels of different instruments to go to your looper. you would turn OFF the L/R tab on those channels.
    Leaving 13-16 being 4 channels to return from your looper to go direct to FOH L/R to your powered speakers.

This is complex but People have done this to get groups within the QU16
    Gone luck

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

My only remaining question would be is there a way to copy the main mix straight to my sub mix?

To do this your sub mix/aux mix feeding the looper as mentioned will need to be POST fade and within that setting I’m going to say set it for POST EQ as well.

Then when you have that mix selected go to every channel that will ever be needed to feed the looper and set the mix level on all of those channels to the unity position so every channel is the same level.

With that mix/aux set as POST FADE the actual levels on that aux/mix out will track what you do to the levels when the mixer is in the main mix LR mode.

Now for looper playback through the mixer YOU DO NOT want that channel or channels to be turned up on the mix/aux that is the send to the loopers input.

For a looper playback channel I would pick one of the stereo pair inputs.
    Those input channel faders are on the top layer.

It looks like this is more of a studio set up than a live mobile performance system.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

If you run your powered monitors from the ALT out jacks you could PFL all of your channels [independanly and /or the return mix from the looper] and your main faders will also control your volume going into your powered monitors in your pic that you posted./
    You will need to set this up Page 61 11.1 and set ALT out to Post FOH Left and Right Page 72 11.14 Surface Alt out and scroll down to PAFL out
    This way it turns what you are using into more of a studio sceanrio.
    As I see no computer in your Gear. 🙂

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

If you run your powered monitors from the ALT out jacks you could PFL all of your channels [independanly and /or the return mix from the looper] and your main faders will also control your volume going into your powered monitors in your pic that you posted./
    You will need to set this up Page 61 11.1 and set ALT out to Post FOH Left and Right Page 72 11.14 Surface Alt out and scroll down to PAFL out
    This way it turns what you are using into more of a studio sceanrio.
    As I see no computer in your Gear.

That’s a great idea and as an added bonus you get an old fashioned knob to adjust the overall level of your monitors.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Opps
    I forgot to mention that the outputs of your Boss Looper which you are bringing back into the QU… you will in the [TABs ROUTING page]
    need to TURN OFF the AUX of the initial instruments your are sending out through.
    Otherwise, you will be for a full feedback sceanrio.
    So say you are sending instruments out through Aux 9/10
    and bring your Boss output back into say 15/16 .. then on the Routing page on those channels 15/16 you would TURN OFF sends to AUX 9/10.
    Good luck!
    And if this should work for you .. you could go one step further and return back into your ST1 and ST2 inputs to get more channels avable on your top surface or even thin about using Custom layer!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.