Studio Recording

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Studio Recording

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andreas Andreas 8 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JD
    JD
    Participant

I’m greener than green on the Qu-16, and ‘converting’ from Presonus – so bear with me please.

Is there a good thread that talks about overdubbing … that is, recording on a couple channels (say guitar / voice), then playing them back while adding (recording) bass through a third channel.

Thanks

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

That’s a DAW question, right? So that totally depends which DAW you’re using.
    And, just in case, the QuDrive isn’t a DAW, you may only record 18 channels at once in multitrack mode, that’s it. No overdub or anything else.

Profile photo of JD
    JD
    Participant

hmm … so I can’t play back a few channels (USB in) and simultaneously add to the USB send a couple extras?

I’m not looking for DAW necessarily, just a way to dub on top.

Can I do that if connected to a ‘puter?

Profile photo of JD
    JD
    Participant

I hope I didn’t misunderstand this …

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

What application do you use on the Mac to stream multiple audio channels to the Qu? A DAW obviously.
    The Qu16 can stream up to 16 channels IN+OUT concurrently, its up to your DAW which of these should be recorded and what material should be played back.
    Probably no big difference to your previous desk.

Profile photo of JD
    JD
    Participant

I guess I was hoping to use a simple Thumb Drive – or stand-along external HD – to stream in and out simultaneously, saving the Computer connection for a later mastering.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Then we’re talking about using the QuDrive function (recording&playback from locally attached USB drive) not audio streaming to a Host.
    The QuDrive, as said in my first post, does not provide DAW functionality, it only can record or playback 18 channels concurrently (not more and not less).
    Your free to assign which streams to record and in which order, you’re not limited recording the input channels, any mix may be recorded as well (see 10.15. I/O Patch Setup – USB Audio).
    Playback (from QuDrive) is always mapped to the channels (Track1 -> Channel1 etc.).
    So: You can record sessions on a ThumbDrive, copy the files to your computer and edit them there. You can not overdub locally on the Qu using the QuDrive.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Personally as one who spent 40 years in the recording business I have never looked at the QU or most any other of the compact dig consoles as studio recording desks. I feel the recording functions were added to capture live events for later work in DAW environments. I realized some have successfully made them studio desks with streaming and DAW apps but I don’t think AH intended that as primary mission. It is first and foremost a live sound console.

I have owned and still own large desks with all the necessary I/O to accomplish that while recording to machines like Pro Tools, RADAR, Analog 24tr etc. even years of MDM with Alesis and TASCAM. That is the best way to achieve multitrack recording, overdubbing and mixing IMHO.

To be honest between GLD and QU I have never recorded more than LR on a thumbdrive. I have had no interest in multitrack. That scares me sometimes since I dedicated the majority of my life to that and now I don’t care to even try that.

Profile photo of JD
    JD
    Participant

Thanks to all. Lemme play a bit – and learn.

Profile photo of Studiodawg
    Studiodawg
    Participant

Hi JD…I also recently acquired a Qu-16. I have been testing things out for recording into Reaper DAW and the only thing I had to figure out was the routing inside the DAW program. After that, I have been able to record overdubs. Just remember that the channels on the Qu mixer are “one-to-one” with the channels in the DAW. That means you’ll need to plug your microphone in to a different channel for overdubbing, kind of similar to an old multitrack mixer/tape deck. If anyone has any tips please chime in…

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

That means you’ll need to plug your microphone in to a different channel for overdubbing

Not necessarily, depends on the output settings inside the DAW (i.e. Reaper). There you’re free to send the recorded material back to any other channel or even a downmixed stereo feed.
    Totally depends where you’re doing your sound and what you’re recording.
    – If you record the wet signal (including EQ/Gates/Compressors and whatsoever), you do not want it to be send back to the same channel, since it would get the same treatment a second time.
    – If you record dry but want to create the final sound with the desk, then may re-use the same channel for sure. You also can do overdubs without re-plugging the mic, but obviously won’t hear whats playing before on that channel.
    – If you record a dry signal and generate the sound inside the DAW, then you probably prefer to send back a stereo mix to some spare channels on the desk.
    It is totally up to your workflow whatever you prefer. When I do recordings, my sound is created inside the DAW with plenty of FX, automation and stuff available.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.