Streaming with Audacity

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Streaming with Audacity

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of DanK DanK 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BJ
    BJ
    Participant

Hi again,
    I was asking in an earlier post about best recording practices in a church setting. Client has a QU32 and is currently using the thumbdrive to record L/R then transfer to Audacity to edit. They wish to stream select channels, lets say channels 1-4 and 12-15 onto 8 separate tracks in Audacity. I d/l the windows drivers and the program see’s the QU32 (line) but I cannot figure out how to separate the tracks. Only way so far I can record is Ch1 is left and Ch2 is right on a stereo track. I assume it’s a routing problem but I just don’t see the options there to make individual tracks. I d/l Audacity and have it hooked up to our shops QU24 to test.
    Any suggestions appreciated.
    Thanks. BJ

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Go to Setup>I/O patch then QUdrive. There is your touting screen. Select which channels to the USB B out. Then arm the channels you want to record in your DAW.

Profile photo of BJ
    BJ
    Participant

double post

Profile photo of BJ
    BJ
    Participant

Thanks. I do have the channels routed correctly in the QU24 as you described. Cannot get them to populate on the recording software. Works ok in Reaper.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Not sure. I’ve only used it on Pro Tools and Studio One. Not real familiar with Audacity DAW.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

I think the options are in the preferences menu – which isn’t necessarily obvious.

There is a section on recording interfaces, which then
    Allows you to select how many channels to
    Record.

Arrange the ones you want as the first n from the Qu, then just record n channels on audacity…

Profile photo of BJ
    BJ
    Participant

yup btdt.
    You can also set that up from the main window. But here is the issue. If I select <windows direct sound> as my audio host, and <line (QU24)> as my input, I am only given the choice of <1 mono> or <2 stereo> as my track selections. That will actually work fine if I only want to record one mono track, but not what the client wishes.
    My next choice is to try <Windows WASAPI> as my audio host. Now I can select up to 32 mono channels yay. However, when I hit record I get error message <Error opening sound device. Try changing audio host, recording device and project sample rate>
    I did try changing sample rate to lowest offered and still no luck. Quite annoying actually.
    Changing audio host to MME brings me back to having the <1 mono> or <2 stereo> option.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

BJ, have you downloaded and installed the A&H ASIO driver for the QU on your laptop?

Profile photo of BJ
    BJ
    Participant

Yes driver was installed after I tried connecting and the software would not see the QU. After I d/l I can connect, but with the limitations I described.
    Thanks

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Get an OS that supports core audio… :p

Profile photo of BJ
    BJ
    Participant

church-cheap

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Hmmmmm…

Trouble with a freeware program not walking on water?

Golly.

In doing a quick search around Audacity, it appears that there is a fork in the terminology road. Multi-track does not mean the same as multi-channel…apparently,
    the difference being overdub capability versus simultaneous recording of multiple channels.

Sounds like time for Reaper or PT.

[XAP]Bob
    Participant

Linux is free and supports core audio… it’s not expensive.

I have remembered that i did have to compile and ASIO enabled version of audacity when I was doing it on a P400 though…

Why stream to PC rather than recording multitrack on a USB stick?

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

church-cheap

Use Reaper. It’s $60 for individuals, small businesses and non-profits.

https://www.reaper.fm/purchase.php

Chris

Profile photo of BJ
    BJ
    Participant

lol, thanks anyways everyone.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.