Streaming Live/ Facebook setup

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Streaming Live/ Facebook setup

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andre2000
    Andre2000
    Participant

Hi

I have been asked to do a short show solo setup/tracks on Facebook/YouTube. I have never done this before so I think I need some advise.

I have Qu 16/IPhone 11/ MacBook Pro/ GoPro:

My idea is to go through 3/4 channels on the desk sum stereo out via usb on channels 1&2 to OBS-NDI mix audio with iphone/gopro webcam. I would obviously like the mix with effects/Eq. I am a Sax player so will use Amt microphone.

Only issue I may have that once you start streaming it will be so compressed I may as well put a mic to a speaker due to the quality on the streaming end.

Any insight appreciated.

Andrew

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

Do the streamers actually compress unless your SPL is too many LUFs (or whatever their scale is) ??

I would far prefer compression to a mike on a speaker.

Andre2000
    Participant

One more point is that I believe OBS will only see channels 1 and 2 so can I can figure the QU to send only a simple stereo pair. Also I would like to record it also through USB on the top of the machine in multitrack so I can edit/Mix again.

Andre2000
    Participant

Yes I would prefer that also. But I have seen some really bad streams. Using a iPhone & high quality audio will I have buffer issues? I would like to send in stereo not unlike a DJ setup. Tracks/Sax. Maybe I could cheat and prerecord… 🙂

volounteer
    Participant

@andre2000

99% of the audio I hear on utoob or other streaming is terrible. A lot of the video is terrible too.

I would far prefer to prerecord edit mix and normalize to their dBFS/LUFS requirements before uploading.

Is it really necessary to live stream or can you prerecord and upload for later streaming.

Andre2000
    Participant

A venue I usually work at ( Not since mid March ) are trying to get asking artists to do live streams. I guess it will be on there platform. I could Just prerecord audio and video and send as a stream on the day. if this is possible?

I am guessing the way you are suggesting is to record everything, mix then upload everything 1st?

I read DJs use a TRRS adapter to headphones. (I have an older S6 edge) out of mixer to S6? This maybe a simple way.

Thanks again Andrew

volounteer
    Participant

@andre2000

If the venue wants live streams then the live stream is their problem. You would be busy performing.
    Example: Our church does not expect the preacherman, keyboard, singers, yada yada to be running the audio system for streaming.
    That audio is handled by a kid who does the video, and an assistant pastor who handles OBS for the live stream. Sound levels are preset on the stage through what looks like an amplifer fed by DI boxes. The AP can tweak the gain in the main mike though.
    But this is outside during the virus shutdown; and the setup is rudimentary and temporary for an hour or so on Sunday AMs.
    Next week they will live stream inside from using our regular Qu32 and other gear with more control over all the mikes. It is the same video camera and one audio interface/PC is also common to outside, but the rest of the gear is different.

It is possible to live stream, live stream and save, live stream then edit and save, or prerecord and then stream not live.

If I were going to put something on fb/utoob for streaming then I would record stems, edit, mix, master, normalize to their LUFS/dBFS requirements and finally upload. You will be plenty busy performing and not be able to do a good job with the livestream at the same time.

Andre2000
    Participant

The issue is I am doing this from home. Not at the Venue as the lockdown is very much in force in London. Especial for live venues. So the option of going onsite is not available.

This is why I want to use tracks/Stems. Once setup it would be one 15 minute mix. I believe I can go to from QU to logic then default mix small eq/rev/comp then take the master outs into OBS channel 1 and 2. I will have to test this tomorrow. It all may change to something more simple.

Thanks again.

volounteer
    Participant

@andre2000

I would go tracks to DAW to stems and then Process completely in DAW.

Last step combine with video and use OBS to upload for streaming.

Andre2000
    Participant

Hi Can I record the show in OBS, video and audio (logic). Then at a later date stream once I have edited what I want to stream as I am not sure on the process in practice.

Andrew

Andre2000
    Participant

With regards to combining audio/video would I have to use final cut or could I use OBS?

volounteer
    Participant

@andre2000

I am not an OBS expert. That is why I would do the audio in my DAW.
    Put it back on the video then upload that with OBS.

Can you do it with OBS or final cut. You probably could.
    I do not have experience using those programs so I could not.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.