Streaming and Configuration Changes

Forums Forums iLive Forums iLive general discussions Streaming and Configuration Changes

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of RayS RayS 8 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mturner
    mturner
    Participant

Hello, we’re running an iLive T112 wtih an iDR64 and an iDR16 with Dante in a House of Worship setting.
    We’ve been running the system for three years and absolutely love it.

We finally decided to start streaming worship services and that has resulted in a few questions.

QUESTION 1:
    I’m finding that we’ll need to build a seperate mix for the streaming feed that includes more level from acoustic/percussive instruments (drums, piano, orchestra) as well as some audience mics.

The best approach I’ve come up with so far is to assign three aux busses (drums, orchestra, miscellaneous) and combine those along with the main busses in a matrix. The idea is that I can have a second engineer use the main mix as a starting point and use the three aux busses to add more of whatever is needed.

Is this the best way to approach this? The only other idea I had was to use subgroups but we use DCAs on things like drums and it seemed I wouldn’t have enough level to add much. With the aux busses I can get pre-fader levels and add what I need.

QUESTION 2:
    Now that we know more, I really need to change my mix bus configuration to get the aux busses I want (I’m out of aux busses, am not using existing subgroups, so I can trade). When I change the system configuration to handle the new busses, I think this will require a new show file and make existing scenes useless. Is there any way to salvage scenes or import them between show files?

Mark

Profile photo of Mark Oakley
    Mark Oakley
    Participant

In reply to the first question: if you already have Dante capability, your best bet would be to get a second IDR unit (like an IDR-16), split all your inputs to it and use it for the streaming mix. You could control it from a Laptop running iLive Editor if you don’t want to spend the money for a surface. This will then not use up any extra busses from your FOH board, and the streaming engineer will have a fully independent mix.

-Mark

Profile photo of mturner
    mturner
    Participant

Thanks for the reply, Mark.
    Funny you should say that. I had that thought about using Dante but money is tight.
    I think doing a Dante split would be by far the most flexible approach. I could run that to a mixrack or just about any mixer that speaks Dante. I already have Dante inputs assigned to use for virtual soundchecks and training. I have the main busses on my Dante feed as well so it would be relatively easy to replicate this “additive mix” setup externally.

The current “plan” is to use iLive Editor to manage these new busses. Obviously, the danger of this is that you have to be VERY careful to hit the right Mix button or you’ll end up altering the house mix.

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

Question #1 Depending on how many inputs you’re using you could double up your inputs strips that are assigned the same physical input ex; bass drum to input strip #1 and #31 all from the one socket and set up a custom mix page (editor/custom tab) and use that for your streaming feed, the second engineer would have access to all the inputs but be independent of the main mix, on the first series i.e 1 to 30 for ex, set these to have pre amp on surface and set the other series to have trim on surface …..now anything you do except adjust the preamp on the main mix would be independent…..

Question #2 save a scene with all your settings “store all” then change your congig and recall that scene, of course all the scenes that had assignments to non-existant auxes or in this case groups will be different and need to have some sort of updating done but as you are not using sub groups you should be good to go with little difference….to be safe save your show and name a new show for your attempt at the separate streaming mix that way if you make a mistake you haven’t lost you original work……also you can eventually isolate the streaming mix further by making all the channels “safe” they then will not be altered by what is done in the main mix, if that is something you need….

Hope that helps

RayS

Profile photo of mturner
    mturner
    Participant

Thanks so much for the ideas, Ray.

I may end up having to double inputs at some point. I think I have enough inputs available to do that (especially on the iDR16). I’ve got most of the important stuff that’s on the iDR64 coming back to the iDR16 over ACE to feed the Dante outputs anyway (the Dante interface is in the iDR16). I’m going to try this “just add what’s missing” approach for now since I’m light on skilled volunteers.

Thanks very much for the scene recall info and ideas. I’ll give that a try after we get through Easter weekend. What you described makes sense. I figured I’d have to make some adjustments on the Aux mixes once I reconfigure. I’ll make sure we’ve got good backups before I start. 🙂

Mark

Profile photo of RayS
    RayS
    Participant

Hey Mark, just to be clear, you don’t need extra physical inputs …..it’s done virtually by assigning a physical socket to 2 or more input strips….so same socket goest to strip 1,31,61 etc….think of it as house/monitors set up with 2 ops,one mixrack, 1 surface and one editor….since you can process 64 inputs as long as you’re not using more than 32 you can double up….

hope this helps

RayS

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.