Stream Audio over some distance

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Stream Audio over some distance

This topic contains 13 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Cata
    Cata
    Participant

Heloo,
    I need to send audio signal from my PC Laptop (windows 7 o.s.) to my QU-16 onto 100 metters distance. My question is : it is possible to using Cat5 cable from Ethernet port of QU-16 to network card from my Laptop? Can recommand me one better way to do that?
    Thank You in advance !

Catalin.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

No, that’s not possible that way. The standard ethernet connector on the Qu is for control purposes only, the dSnake connector can only communicate with dSnake stageboxes.
    How many channels do you need? You probably end up using either analog cables, use some multichannel-DAC on your PC and a dSnake stagebox or move the PC closer to your Qu.

Profile photo of Gordon
    Gordon
    Participant

You may want to consider a wireless transmitter and receiver kit. Always check the specs for distance range because they all have limits. Good luck.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

Assuming stereo – a UHF link is possible, as is a DI and balanced cables…
    Depending on what you are trying to push across you might just run a ‘remote’ PC closer to the desk, or even an iDevice with Airplay to an Airport Express…

There’s more than one way to cook an egg…

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Question:

How much latency can you accept?

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Dick brings up a good point,
    I once thought I could use my iPad to play sound effects and tracks via my Airport Express, but I soon discovered that my cues would sound like I was sleeping on the job, it seems like I remember almost two seconds of delay.

Profile photo of DoctorG
    DoctorG
    Participant

It is possible to purchase devices that digitize the audio and send it over CAT5/6 cable to the matching receiver that converts it back to audio. This is often the approach that is used to send an audio or even video over such distances. As Dick points out, this will introduce some latency, but I have no idea how much, and if it would be an issue for you. Since the performers would hear only what comes out of the mixer, and I assume they are at that location, the latency of the transmission should not be a factor.

If the suggestions from several of us don’t seem to help, perhaps you could give us more details about the physical arrangement.

Profile photo of Cata
    Cata
    Participant

Hello everyone,

Thank you so much for your answers !
    More details here:
    I need that for a live venue. The QU-16 is FOH, with analogic multicore snake (dsnake is to expensive for me). My PC Laptop is on the stage for lead vocal to play her audio traks (instrumental, and can watch lyrics). For sure there ‘s not 100 m, maybe 30 – 40. But I have that problem : how is the best way to send audio form Laptop to QU-16 ? Latency less than 0,5 s are not a problem. My Laptop have not a good quality sound card. Maybe is a good ideea to use a Roland Quad Capture on USB port, and RQC have 2 ballanced outs, wich can be send over distance to my QU-16, on ST1 for example.

Thank you very very much !
    Catalin.

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

Peavey USB-p.

https://peavey.com/products/index.cfm/item/875/117099

This has become almost an industry standard, taking audio directly to your audio snake without using the computer sound card.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

External sound card, and balance the signal. You’ve got the audio cable, so use it…

If you have a sound card already then that’s great – if not then even a £20 Behringer device will be fine.
    Depending on the sound card you may need a DI box as well though (I assume you have a couple of channels of DI lying around).

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

The Peavey box Dick suggests is very good indeed and a bargain in the US, but a bit difficult to get hold of in most of the world without paying silly prices. I don’t know where Catalin is.

At a push, just headphone out through a Minijak —-> 2x 1/4″ jack lead into 2 DI boxes will work.

Profile photo of Cata
    Cata
    Participant

Hello friends,
    Thank you very much for your suggestions and advices !
    I already have Roland Quad Capture box, and I try to use in that mode. I want make a test in a couple days, and I share with you the results.
    Thank You again !
    Best Regards from Romania,
    Catalin.

Profile photo of ddff_lv
    ddff_lv
    Participant

If you can have cAT5 cable, then you can transmit 4 channels of audio.

ddff

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.