Stereo to mono function for Recording Studios

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Stereo to mono function for Recording Studios

This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Scott Scott 2 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Poli84
    Poli84
    Participant

Hello everyone, I would like to insert an SQ6 in my recording studio instead of a Yamaha DM2000 v2.
    Currently to manage the monitors I use the excellent control room of the Yamaha mixer.
    On the SQ6 I thought I could manage the various pairs of monitors with the matrics, but I don’t know how to switch from stereo listening to mono listening with one click like on the other console … there is a way on the SQ mixer to switch with a single click from listening stereo to mono and vice versa?
    Thank you.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

The SQ is a live sound console in the first place
    so no control room functionality available for now…

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

The SQ is a small form, world class FOH & monitor tool. The I/O port offers either dante or waves protocols that will enable interface with pretty much any type of recording activity you may desire and are willing to pay for. I send prime inputs with tie lines through a Waves card to my LV1 & Studio One DAW. I am very pleased with the synergistic recording production achieved by deploying the best features of both the SQ and my Waves/Studio One DAW.
    The SQ is a SR device with limited live multi-track capability that happens to be exactly the primary SR tool most of us need and are willing to pay for. IMO it would be an egregious mistake to load up the SQ with ancillary features a few may want that most of us are not willing to pay for.
    Hugh

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

A Stereo Image control on stereo mixes like there is on stereo inputs or a Width control would be extremely useful for live SR work too and would solve the OP’s problem.
    I’m pretty sure there is a feature request for this…

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Like Dave says, this is potentially similar to some previous suggestions (perhaps with some sort of quick/SoftKey control?) –

Stereo width Control

Stereo Image Processing for groups

As posted in one of those threads, it’s not something we could say is definitely possible at this point, but we would certainly investigate if it gets enough love here.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Poli84
    Poli84
    Participant

It would be optimal to be able to assign the “stereo to mono” function to a soft key …
    Hopefully it can be added!
    Thank you.

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Here’s a workaround:

1. Use one mono and one stereo matrix send only the main L/R bus equally to each matrix (set them to 0db).
    2. Create two different scenes with filters in place filtering everything except patch.
    3. In one scene patch the stereo matrix out to the ports that drive the monitors.
    4. In the other scene patch the mono matrix out to the ports that drive the monitors.
    5. Assign each of these scenes to their own soft key (one for mono, the other for stereo).

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.