Stereo recording question

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Stereo recording question

This topic contains 10 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Ilrusso
    Ilrusso
    Participant

Hello,
    In december we’ll start in our church with a dlive C3500/CDM64. The most things are clear but regarding the recording I have a question where I would like to ask for some serious advice…
    we use a simple stereo recording for all of our services. Multitrack isn’t required at the moment. We’re editing the files on a PC in parallel to the recording so recording on a USB stick is not a option. I know a Dante card will do the job easily but… I think Dante is a bit oversized for a stereo recording. What’s the easiest / best solution for stereo recording, also from a cost perspective?

Thanks.

Thomas

Profile photo of Michael
    Michael
    Participant

You buy a 2-in USB audio interface, like this one and connect it to your audio computer. (Bonus: you use the two out to get better quality, balanced stereo audio into your dLive.)

Reaper is an (almost) free software for recording multitracks. Works great with Dante, but for your case, just make a stereo track and patch it to the USB audio interface.

Here’s a starting point to automate it!

Profile photo of Underscore
    Underscore
    Participant

I’ll admit that Dante is one of the better ways to go, but on a budget…..another option to consider would be to take a pair of analog out channels to your stereo analog input of your PC and record from there.
    I would also suggest that the outputs be routed thru DI boxes to isolate from any ground loop issues..(btdt with the pc audio out to sound system input).
    We also are using Reaper at this point also. We aren’t doing any editing with it, only multi-track recording.
    If you keep your eye’s open you may find someone selling a Dante card for a reasonable price, I managed to pick one up for about 1/2 the cost of a new one. The Dlive system will also require an adapter card(allows the 48khz card to work in the 96khz system) to use the current release A&H Dante card. (BTW Audinate does not make a 96khz Dante card yet for the Dlive system.)

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

to keep it simple… what are you using at the moment?
    Connect this to the boerd and go for it…

Profile photo of Ilrusso
    Ilrusso
    Participant

Thank you all.
    Okay, for the beginning we will still use our USB audio interface. (for sure: double conversion A->D->A->D is not state of the art).
    In the mean time I will look for a used Dante card with M-DL-ADAPT.
    It’s a pity that the SQ-Dante card is not suitable for the dlive…

We use wavelab for recording. I never used reaper. Does it make sense to switch to reaper?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

If you’re familiar with Wavelab stick with it.

SteffenR
    Participant

if you stay with stereo recording then Wavelab is an excellent choice… and if you own it already, it’s cheap 😉

maybe you can use the AES Out on the surface for recording, so you skip the conversions

Profile photo of Ilrusso
    Ilrusso
    Participant

Sorry I’m a digital newbie 🙂
    If I use the AES Out (one can transport two channels, correct?) which interface do I use to connect it with the PC? I don’t want a internal PCI card…

SteffenR
    Participant

you can use every interface with S/PDIF in that can handle professional S/PDIF with 96khz
    I have an old Edirol US25 and a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6

you have to adapt the XLR to a RCA connector

Some RME have AES in and some expensive pro grade interfaces from other vendors also have AES

SteffenR
    Participant
    SteffenR
    Participant
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.