Stereo Recording

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Stereo Recording

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

Let me start by saying I am self taught on How to run a mixer. Now My church bought a qu-24 mixer, I’ve been trying to record using the qu drive Post LR The problem I run into is my main Level is not loud enough going into the recording. If I boost my Channels anymore I run into feedback. So this Week I Set one of the Mix Channels as a recording Channel. The problem here is I have no effects on the Vocals if I record this way. I was wondering if I record Post LR is there a way to boost the Output for the recording only? If I continue using my Mix channel is there a way to send FX to the Mix. Right now I have monitors on mix 1,2,3 I’m using mix 5/6 for recording, unless I can fix the Volume issue on Post LR. I would appreciate any Help in trying to make this work. I have not had a lot of experience with a digital board, my last church was still running analogue. Thanks for your time.

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

Why not recording Pre LR?
    Anyway, QuDrive recordings are not meant for direct playback on PC/Mac since they still contain the additional 18dB headroom above nominal 0dB readout. To make the levels “compatible” to players outside the world of Qu, you’ll need to rise volume in your favorite DAW/AudioApp accordingly, probably along with a compressor or limiter to avoid digital clipping.

Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

I’m open to suggestions I just wanted to see what needed to be done. I’ll try Pre LR. Our Pastor is the one who takes the File home he just told me when he tried to play it he had to boost it 400% to make it so he could hear it. I just wasn’t sure what I could do to make it louder. So is there not a way to boost the Level Being sent to the HD if I record PRE/Post Then? It has to be Done on the PC/MAC

Profile photo of Andreas
    Andreas

First of all, if you record post LR, recorded level totally depends on your master faders and will jump if you make live corrections. With pre LR you’ll record what’s on the internal LR bus, regardless of the position of the LR fader.

Then you should ensure that internal level are not too low and easily reach nominal 0dB meter readout (Home->Meters). But recording still seems to be too thin when played on a computer, this is the 18dB headroom still available to handle transients without clipping. To compete with “regular” files like MP3, the Qu-recording need to be raised by about 300% (=18dB), so the 400% are somewhat normal.

Of course you’re free to decide your nominal internal level on the LR bus should be, for example, +12dB and reduce the LR fader accordingly (or turn down the PA). This will increase volume within the recording but there’s only 6dB headroom left before hard, digital clipping will occur (on both recording and mixer output!). Instead of feeding louder signals in your bus, you probably better use the compressor on the LR bus to rise the volume up to +18dB, which also helps to avoid digital clipping (when properly setup).

Just saw that I “ignored” your second question: Of course you can route the FX return also to Mix busses. Select your Mix Bus (right button), select the upper layer (left), hold the Assign button and use the SEL button of your FX to add it to the Bus. That way you could add gain only for recording without affecting the LR bus.

Profile photo of dpdan
    dpdan
    Participant

Hi Creator,
    hit the “setup” button to the right of the touch screen,

output tab

hit the “Output Patch” tab, then hit the “USB Audio” tab just below the Output “Patch tab”
    in the lower left-hand corner click on channel 17 and use the touch screen rotary knob to scroll through and choose “MTX 1 L”
    then click on channel 18 and use the touch screen rotary knob to scroll through and choose “MTX 2R”…. hit “APPLY”

A tip…. after assigning a channel, you can hit the “Fn” key (lower left below the touch screen) and the next channel will automatically advance to the next available number. NICE!

Choose the LR mix button in the master section just above the master fader with the blue light,
    then hit the “Routing” button to the right of the touch screen,

matrix button

hit the “Matrix Sends” tab,
    make sure Mix LR is displayed (upper left) to show we are sending the LR to this matrix 1-2.
    set the first button to “Pre”
    the next button “On”
    center the pan and set the level to 0 db.
    0 db is a good place to start to get decent healthy level.

The Matrix (MTX 1-2) master fader is on the second “Layer” It is the second to last fader from the far right and it will be your recording level master.

matrix master

To start recording go to “Home”
    choose the “Stereo” tab and you will see the small meters just to the left of the transport controls for record, playback and stop.

That should do it.

Profile photo of Creator
    Creator
    Participant

Thanks guys I appreciate the help.

Profile photo of JohnnyD
    JohnnyD
    Participant

Hi,

It sounds like your gain structure might need some attention. Have you tried turning your FOH amps/speakers down and raising the level on the mixer?

Profile photo of Elim Be
    Elim Be
    Participant

Hello thank you so much gor your help. I would like you to send me pictures with what you explain it gonna be much easier for me to do it, my email : david_bxl@yahoo.fr ,if its not to much to ask. Again thank you so much for your help

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

I have used both recording routing options, the matrix mix version as described
    by “dpdan” and recording from a mix buss.

Both options allow you to add a little processing if needed to the recording, compression, EQ.

If you use a mix buss to record be sure you have that mix set for post fade and most likely post all processing. To start set all the channel mix sends for the recording
    mix to the same level, that way it will track your FOH mix. The mix option will allow
    you to create a somewhat separate mix for the recording by adjusting the mix send levels,
    at the very least I will bring up the spoken word mic inputs, pastor mic, reader mic ect.

Profile photo of djam
    djam
    Participant

Adding volume to a low signal is not the answer, doing this will add noise…

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Adding volume to a low signal is not the answer, doing this will add noise…

True but if the levels are not crazy low to begin with and you have good gain structure elsewhere a bump in gain to bring up the stereo record levels is not going to add any noise issues.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.