Stereo Monitor Mix for IEMs on QU16 ?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu general discussions Stereo Monitor Mix for IEMs on QU16 ?

This topic contains 17 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Barryjam Barryjam 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of coffee_king
    coffee_king
    Participant

Hi Guys
    Does anyone know how to configure stereo monitor mixes for IEMs on the QU16?
    I see outputs on the rear for Mixes 5&6 7&8 9&10 state stereo on them but I cant get my head around how this works?

I’m using Shure PSM200 and Audio Technica M2 & M3 IEMs so they are stereo capable.

Im currently using mono monitor mixes which is fine, but I’ve always wondered about stereo capabilities.

Thanks in advance everyone.
    Cheers

Profile photo of Giga
    Giga
    Participant
    coffee_king
    Participant

Yes and Google prior to posting here
    Your link doesnt bring up any relevant results.

Profile photo of [XAP]Bob
    [XAP]Bob
    Participant

What can’t you do? All you need to do is select that mix and pan appropriately…

Obviously you can’t just use a wedge…

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Hi CK

So, feed 5+6 into the two inputs of your IEM. By default, all your channels feed this the same to both sides (except the Stereo ones which feed L+R with a Balance control, as you’d expect).

On the desk, after you’ve selected the Mix 5+6 button, the Pan is now controlling how much of each channel goes to each side – this is independent of the “main” Pan for L+R. This means that if, for example, your singer wants to hear the backing vocals just in their left ear, you can Pan them there for that mix, but still have then in both sides for FOH.

On the iPad, you get a Pan just above the fader in each channel when looking at the mix sends.

Repeat as required with 7+8 & 9+10

coffee_king
    Participant

Hi CK

So, feed 5+6 into the two inputs of your IEM. By default, all your channels feed this the same to both sides (except the Stereo ones which feed L+R with a Balance control, as you’d expect).

On the desk, after you’ve selected the Mix 5+6 button, the Pan is now controlling how much of each channel goes to each side – this is independent of the “main” Pan for L+R.

Hi
    Thanks for the response.
    Ive got this far above but the PAN control on the desk (Below the Comp control) is not lit up and does nothing?

MarkPAman
    Participant

“Obviously you can’t just use a wedge…”

True.
    But it’s a handy thing if you’ve got, say, a solo act and you’re giving them two wedges. Normally you leave the Pan in the middle and it acts like one normal send. But if they request “a bit more guitar in just that one” it’s nice and easy to do.

MarkPAman
    Participant

Hi
    Thanks for the response.
    Ive got this far above but the PAN control on the desk (Below the Comp control) is not lit up and does nothing?

Not got a desk here to check, but page 24 of the manual suggest I’ve remembered this correctly (I mix mostly on iPad these days – especially monitors as I tend to stand on stage while setting these up)
    Are you Selecting channel before trying to adjust the Pan?

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

“Thanks for the response.
    Ive got this far above but the PAN control on the desk (Below the Comp control) is not lit up and does nothing?”

Sounds like you’re either not where you think you are regarding surface control selection OR something is selected elsewhere which precludes the PAN function.

Go back to square one. Power down, then start fresh with a new blank scene. Select your stereo mix, say 5/6, select your channel and the PAN should function.

coffee_king
    Participant

Ah OK, so Ive hit
    Mix Select 5&6
    Then GREEN SEL button per channel and there you go, yes PAN is available independently from FOH mix.
    When PROCESSING button is selected I’m still seeing the same FOH channel strip screen though yeah? That right?

What else apart from Pan (and of course volume per channel per monitor mix) can I adjust here now in a monitor mix then?
    If I mess with PEQ etc its just going to change the front house mix yeah?

Nice one ta

Profile photo of Dick Rees
    Dick Rees
    Participant

I think PAN is the only Mix-specific control. Everything else follows the channel wherever you’re working: Main, Mix, Custom layer etc.

MarkPAman
    Participant

Yep, PEQ will change the FOH, as will gates & compression, ducking of inserting effects. They may, or may not, change the monitors depending on the position you’re sourcing the mix from.

See page 41

coffee_king
    Participant

Ah, many thanks guys, you’re all brill for helping me sort this.
    Just so I can call myself stupid EVEN FURTHER on what page in the manual does it say you can pan the stereo monitor mix channels?
    I know MarkPAman says P41 but if its there its not in plain enough English for me 🙂

coffee_king
    Participant

P24 I believe.

Hmm, now where does it say what you CANT adjust 🙂

MarkPAman
    Participant

Page 24

Ah, you’ve already found it!

Your best bet here may be to look at the diagram on page 88, but the only things you can change without the FOH being changed are the Mix level & Mix Pan. Obviously yo can use the PEQ & Compression on the Mix master.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.