Stereo Matrix and MUTE

Forums Forums Avantis Forums Avantis General Discussions Stereo Matrix and MUTE

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 3 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

New to Avantis – we use a stereo Matrix to send to broadcast (stream) for your typical church. We normally just send LR and a few things like pastor/prayer mics. We also have a compressor on it to boost the send (over Dante) to our streaming PC. All good with routing. But today we got ahead of ourselves and tried to use an iPad to mix the matrix (we can’t afford a second surface although we want one).

We quickly added all the inputs into the matrix on the board quickly, dropped L/R so we could “mix” stream differently than house. Plan was sound. Execution? Not so good.

Mistake was made in not testing this offline – but the eng who grabbed the iPad had never used the software and barely touched the board. strike 2 was he kept on muting things he didn’t “want” in the mix (like click). The click wasn’t “IN” the matrix – the fader was down, but he saw the meter going crazy so he muted it – when he muted it while mixing for the matrix IT MUTED IT FOR ALL OUR MUSICIANS. Chaos ensued in rough 4/4 timing 🙂

How should I be doing this – I probably should be using a STEREO MIX not a MATRIX? I thought MATRIXes were really for handling SUBS/MIXES, like MIXES are for mixing individual inputs.

Thanks for any advice. I’ve scoured the forums – but find nothing deep in https://www.allen-heath.com/media/Avantis-Firmware-Reference-Guide-V1.03.pdf.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

If you do not know what you are doing you shouldn’t do it…
    A mute is still a mute and turns an entire channel off… input, mix, main or matrix

all the sends have an on/off switch to enable/disable it in the associated mix

I thought MATRIXes were really for handling SUBS/MIXES, like MIXES are for mixing individual inputs.

and why is somebody muting a click track? It’s an input…as already said it’s a mute for all…

try OneMix instead of the MixPad
    this allows only volume changes in a given mix
    set the complete mix to pre fader and now the mix should be completely independent…

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

If you do not know what you are doing you shouldn’t do it…

helpful.

A mute is still a mute and turns an entire channel off… input, mix, main or matrix

The guy doing the ipad wasn’t aware. thanks for clarification. we record with Reaper over Dante and have VSC set up, so we’re going to (shocking) practice this before we blow up our service again.

your picture from manual is what I had – “On” for those we wanted in the matrix. He still muted. He’s been chastised.

try OneMix instead of the MixPad

we’re going to try that this week

thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.