Stereo IP config problem: does not pan

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive troubleshooting Stereo IP config problem: does not pan

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 5 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of abeness
    abeness
    Participant

Hello, All. C3500/CDM48, FW 1.71. I’m having trouble configuring a stereo IP: I’m not able to pan L and R! I converted IPs 119/120 to stereo at MixRack/Config/Input Stereos. PAFLing the channel: I’ve got it connected to Surface In 5 and 6 via a custom 3.5mm to XLR L/R that is confirmed wired correctly. If I pan left and right at the source (my iPhone), the audio pans L and R correctly in the phones. If I pan the channel at the fader, it does not pan in the phones. I’m also finding that pan does not pan my stereo aux channel that’s patched L to Surface Out 5 and R to Surface Out 6. What am I missing? Thanks!

Profile photo of abeness
    abeness
    Participant

To clarify: surface outs 5 and 6 are patched to my booth monitors.
    System won’t allow me to edit my post (fails with a Stop Spammer Registrations prompt, then “Error: Are you sure you wanted to do that?”).

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I think you are mixing different things…

What are you hearing in the headphones?
    What are you hearing in your monitors?

If you use a stereo channel than you have no panning, it’s now a balance control.
    And you have in the preamp a dropdown menu to handle different stereo situations like M/S, or missing one channel and so on…

but beside that it should affect the left right balance…

if you PAFL this channel you cant hear the panning until you are activating AFL for the inputs
    if you listen to L/R then of course you should be able to hear the panning/balancing
    Aux panning is not correlated to the panning to the mains until you activate it.

hope it helps a bit

Profile photo of abeness
    abeness
    Participant

Hi, Steffen R. You’re right, I mean balance, oops. Thanks for the Input AFL pointer, and I love the Stereo Image options, those could be very handy. If I turn on Input AFL at Surface/Audio/PAFL, then PAFL in the phones shows expected results.
    (I guess I could add another PAFL bus if I want both pre- and after-fade listen available for reference. Have to explore how to select on the fly which PAFL bus is in the phones. I’ve only ever used PFL.)

However, changing the IP balance left or right does not affect the output to booth mons with post-fade mix routed there. What am I still missing? IP fader adjusts the booth aux output, so I know post is engaged.

If I change the balance on the Booth output fader, left/right level changes as expected.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

the aux send panning does not follow the channel panning by default…
    if you need this then you should enable it in the routing window of the aux masters (upper right corner)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.