Stereo input patching flexibility

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive feature suggestions Stereo input patching flexibility

This topic contains 12 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of tor tor 1 year, 10 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Daan
    Daan
    Participant

So when you want to patch an input to a stereo channel, you always have to patch it from an odd/even pair.
    I usually have some stereo channels to the back of the inputs so that I can quickly swap them in if there are keys or samplers for example.
    Now if the patch has these on even/odd channels, I can’t use them. Also, when you run into a problem like a bad cable, you have to swap both inputs.

We’re able to patch both sides of stereo outputs (even the direct outs from a stereo channel) to any random output (e.g. 1 and 11), why not on the inputs?

Profile photo of ParkerA1996
    ParkerA1996
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

+1!

Profile photo of RMA
    RMA
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Duesenbert
    Duesenbert
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

I have to say that while this stereo requirement has been a consistent requirement on A&H digital consoles, I find it hard to imagine why it is required. Surely the processing power is there to allow a person to patch an even and odd channel to stereo. Perhaps there really is some fundamental low level processing decision that was made early on that hard codes this choice – but given how A&H talks about the flexibility that FPGA brings, I find it hard to believe that it can’t be changed. Perhaps it was simply a decision made initially to cut down on the GUI requirements to make this work – you would have to have an additional drop down menu to choose which pair of sequential channels to combine. Perhaps A&H simply doesn’t think it is an important enough issue to change it.

In any case, this is definitely a much asked for change and I fully support the efforts to make it happen!

Profile photo of RuneS
    RuneS
    Participant

Honestly, I wouldn’t really care about stereo channels at all if ganged channels worked as ‘expected’. By that I mean that they do not act like stereo channels when an insert is used. You basically cannot use a Dyn8 on a stereo gang.

AH are fairly open about the fact that stereo channels are for fixed stereo pairs like house music playback etc.(the fact that this is in the mixrack settings only is also a hint), but its a hard sell when there are no stereo insert or gang control option for Dyn8 etc.

Profile photo of Dylan
    Dylan
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I wouldn’t really care about stereo channels at all if ganged channels worked as ‘expected’

Gangs are not stereo links. They provide more useful functionality.

Profile photo of RuneS
    RuneS
    Participant

Steffen, I understand that gangs serve more than one purpose, BUT to quote the dLive firmware reference guide regarding stereo inputs:
    “This is intended for permanently configuring channels as stereo inputs, for example music players. Use the Ganging screen for on-the-fly linking of stereo sources while mixing live.”

I would be willing to bet that 90% of the times ganging is used, it is for stereo channels. It has been that way since iLive.

Profile photo of Tatsuya Nakamura
    Tatsuya Nakamura
    Participant

+1

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

I would be willing to bet that 90% of the times ganging is used, it is for stereo channels. It has been that way since iLive.

Currently it’s 92.3% of the time on my board, although that might drop to 90.9% if I reconfigure some stuff next week.

Profile photo of tor
    tor
    Participant

Huge +1

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.