Stereo channel input patching.

Forums Forums GLD Forums GLD feature suggestions Stereo channel input patching.

Tagged: 

This topic contains 12 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of pblosser03 pblosser03 9 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

It would be very helpful if we could choose the input sockets for stereo channels independently, or even allow even/odd such as 4/5 rather than just 1/2 or 17/18 etc. The ability to configure more or less stereo channels would also be nice.

Chris

Profile photo of eotsskleet
    eotsskleet
    Participant

is there a good reason why you would rather use stereo channels than GANG 2 channels? do you have more than 8 stereo channels? or can you explain why you would like to have it?

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Probably so you would not have 2 fader strips tied up. With a lot of stereo inputs that takes up a lot of space. You could have 8 stereo channels on a band rather than 4 ganged channels. I think that is what Chris means. Maybe not.

George.

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

The preamps can’t be ganged, that would be a satisfactory solution. Currently you have to set the preamp gain one one channel and then copy/ paste it to the other one. If I’ve got drum overheads or a choir, or a stereo keyboard I’d like to be able to PFL the channel (or pair of channels), spin up the preamp knob, and then move onto the next channel.

Chris

Profile photo of Chris93
    Chris93
    Participant

George, you don’t have to leave both channels of a ganged pair on the surface…

…except actually you do if you want access to the preamp.

Freeing up space on the surface is the main advantage, but I don’t like doing it for the preamp reason.

Chris

eotsskleet
    Participant

Well, the possibility to link preamps would be a nice feature and could maybe implemented in a next firmware update? (Nicola?)
    But i had several times that not every input channel on a stereo-keyboard hat the same gain! i think depends on cable, DI-Box and keyboard! so the best would be to have the possibility to choose between Gain-Linking or not!

Profile photo of lithiumfun
    lithiumfun
    Participant

I like the stereo channels over ganging because it lets me PAFL them in stereo, with one button. I can’t see any way to set this option in ganging.

Profile photo of SweetSpot
    SweetSpot
    Participant

+1 Chris93 and eotskleet – I want to gang the preamp/gain also.

In a church set-up we have ganged multiple stereo inputs on the bottom bank to single faders on banks A&B, 1) to save space but 2) to make it easier for volunteers not to have to move two sliders – or ideally to remove the need for two lots of EQ/Gate/Gain.

Some of the stereo inputs have their input gain/preamp knob tweaked regularly, laptops – iPad, phone etc. Every week I check and the gain of the left is different to the right, because it isn’t intuitive to gang everything else but gain. I originally asked for mono-summing of stereo sources to take place before the desk to avoid this issue but the audio company told us to sum in the desk as we had spare channels… and it so nearly works!

Profile photo of pblosser03
    pblosser03
    Participant

Wow I was surprised and a bit disappointed when I found out I couldn’t make more stereo channels. I only see two on the board at them moment, and I want to use 3 of them. Eventually I want to change our keyboards to stereo and add some more. I am able to do this on my iLIve, but then again this isn’t an iLive. Seems like a pretty basic feature, never though this would be an issue.

+1 for being able to make stereo channels. I prefer stereo channels to ganging, less faders taken up, all the controls work together.

eotsskleet
    Participant

@pblosser03
    Are you talking about a GLD or iLive? However, it is possible to make more than 2stereo-channels! You can set this up in the board settings! The second way – as described above – is to use the GANG feature! Easy and powerful, especially if you have 2bands on one night and only one of the band needs a stereo-channel!

pblosser03
    Participant

@eotsskleet
    I have an iLive that I have used before, but I am talking about the GLD. We just bought a GLD for our church and for the life of me I can’t seem to figure out how to make a stereo input channel. Spent like 20 minutes just looking for it. After reading some posts like this one, I thought it wasn’t an option.

If you can point me in the right direction that would be awesome. We have a few video, cd and computer inputs that I would love to have as true stereo channels and not ganged.

eotsskleet
    Participant

well first of all there are 2 stereo channel for default on channel 45/46 and 47/48
    If you want more than you have to create “stereo groups” under “Setup” – “config”!
    If you select then a stereo group you find under “processing” the tab called “Ext In” there you can choose another stereo input channels!
    (they called “stereo groups” but work the same as stereo channels!)

pblosser03
    Participant

Ah ok, so the original issue is still there. I found the 45/46 and 47/48 stereo channels, I just wanted more of them. The main problem with using a group as a stereo channel is it chews up more mix output and mixbus resources, but it is a good idea for a work around.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘GLD feature suggestions’ is closed to new topics and replies.