Stereo Aux Width Control?

Forums Forums dLive Forums dLive General Discussions Stereo Aux Width Control?

Tagged: , , ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dave Dave 2 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

Does anyone know if there’s a way to set the width of a stereo aux? I’m running stereo auxes for IEMs and would like to be able to pan stuff around (for the obvious reasons), but sometimes one of my singers wants to pull an ear out. I need a way to “monoize” the aux with a button or knob.

The scene filtering might let me make a scene that technically does what I want it to do, but it’d be a nightmare to keep in sync if I have to change scenes again after “monoizing” an aux, or if more than one person pulls an ear out.

I don’t currently have enough extra inputs/outputs to route the auxes back into stereo inputs, use the stereo width controls there, then route it to a 2nd set of outputs.

Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

The width of a stereo aux cannot be adjusted the way you want it.
    This function is only available for inputs.

However, you can send an aux path on the digital level to a stereo channel.
    You can then send this stereo channel directly to outputs, to the IEM.
    This way, you do not lose an analogue output, an analogue input or another bus. The only additional thing you need is a stereo channel. And you can then adjust the width of this.

Unusual wishes need unusual methods 😉

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Is that really an unusual wish? Think about a stereo input and you want to use that input completely stereo, the width of rhe channel is set to maximum. But you want to use the same channel with less width on your stereo aux mix. At the moment you have to live with the main width, no matter what you want to do with your aux mix.
    And BTW, the extra stereo input you suggested is no option for the OP.

I don’t currently have enough extra inputs/outputs to route the auxes back into stereo inputs, use the stereo width controls there, then route it to a 2nd set of outputs.

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi Dave,

use the SQ!! 😉
    there you’ll have a Bal on all Stereo mixes!
    (I don’t know why those are’nt correctly viewed in the signal flow diagram… there is written “BAL Main LR only” but it’s wrong…)

greetings,
    dd

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Wolfgang
    Wolfgang
    Participant

Question for Dave:
    You wrote that all inputs are occupied.
    Do you mean the 128 processing channels – or only the physical inputs?
    If you really use all 128 channels, my simple tip cannot be realised.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

use the SQ!! 😉
    there you’ll have a Bal on all Stereo mixes!

Balance and panning aren’t the same thing (something that seems to be lost on a lot of the engineers designing sound boards).

You wrote that all inputs are occupied.
    Do you mean the 128 processing channels – or only the physical inputs?

I’m using one MixRack for FoH and monitors, and between the two I’m usually processing a total of maybe 110 channels or so. Today it happens that I do have enough spare channels to route the auxes into them and use that method, but that’s not always the case and I was hoping there’d be a way that wouldn’t burn 12 channels (6 stereo IEM mixes) just to get panning controls or change workflows whenever we have a string section.

I’d like to get a DM0 so we don’t have to share, but I’m not sure it’s in the budget for this year.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.