Stereo 3 pan flipped?

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting Stereo 3 pan flipped?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JoeKeys
    JoeKeys
    Participant

Had my 24 since February, and absolutely love it. I noticed today though that the panning on Stereo 3, which I’m using for the USB connection to my computer, is flipped. Both of the other stereo channels are correct, and all of the mono channels pan properly. Any ideas? Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

I doubt that…
    what is your playback software?

Profile photo of JoeKeys
    JoeKeys
    Participant

It’s not software, it’s happening at the windows settings level or in the mixer itself. More likely the mixer itself as it doesn’t matter what computer i have plugged into ST3 R and L are flipped.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

Miswired cable ?

SteffenR
    Participant

how did you find this problem?

volounteer
    Participant

@joekeys

Define what you mean by flipped, please.

LR, phase, the way the knobs act on the signal, or what

Profile photo of JoeKeys
    JoeKeys
    Participant

was playing fallout and noticed that the directional audio was flipped. I use the Q for working and the onboard sound for gaming unless i’m using my usb headset.

Windows sound test has the bell coming through the speakers it says it is, but the when you pan hard to either side on the Q it does the opposite in the speakers. Flip the output cords you say? Now windows sound test and all the panning in my analog gear is backwards. I need them all to be correct on both the analog and usb outputs of all 3 computers lol Thanks for your help, btw, starting to think this is more of a weird windows issue. Every channel doing it suggests that, but then how is the windows sound test backwards? I guess the next step is to rewire so that panning from the mixer works properly, and see if it’s all audio from windows that’s coming out reversed or just the bell in the sound test. I do love them days when I get paid to play in the name of science lol. Come to think of it, I haven’t noticed my pans being backwards in Sonar or PT….the rabbit hole grows deeper lol.

The think i love (and hate) about audio engineering is that even after 25 years in the industry I still learn something new every day….or encounter new problems that make you wanna scream lol

SteffenR
    Participant

how did you connect the PC?
    USB, mini-jack, RCA?

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi JoeKeys,

If you change to a different ST channel, do you get the same behaviour?

Thanks
    Alex

Profile photo of JoeKeys
    JoeKeys
    Participant

Thanks for helping me work through this, y’all.

Turns out, every single stereo->dual xlr cable i got is marked backwards (or there’s a place in this world where Red=Left and White=Right lol), and the little kinter power amp i use for that line has the rca inputs backwards as well. 13 backwards cables later you get one really confused Joe lolol

Hope yall have a great day!

volounteer
    Participant

@joekeys

a lot of suppliers ignore such niceties.
    We had a company claiming they had a compatible interface we bought when all they had was the correct DB25 plug totally miswired.
    But that was a one time problem with a VERY small new company set up by hackers who did not know anything about standards.

First thing is to flip the cable inputs if you have such a problem as you noted.

I only use the wire color to ensure that I match LR on both devices the same.
    And if I had found a box that was wired wrong then I would label it for future reference.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.