ST2 issues with AR84, help please!

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting ST2 issues with AR84, help please!

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GCumbee GCumbee 9 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of skippy
    skippy
    Participant

Ok I have a AR2412 and a AR 84 hooked to a qu-24, due to input limits for what I am doing I want to use st2 input for the keys, problem is when I plug into the Ar84 on the left channel for st2 it’s not a mono signal like it says on the back of the council, it’s only in the left. I have a di box coming out of the keys then xlr to the Ar84. I have tried both st2 inputs on the 84 but all it does is switch from left to right, like it probably should, but I believe if it’s only in the left channel it should be a mono signal to both mains,I think that there is a flaw here. I have tried another normal channel works fine, pans left right ect..I have not yet plugged directly into the board yet due to it’s across the room ect.. Any ideas other than using a splitter to both channels. That’s my only solution I can think of at this point. Thanks lk

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

The ST inputs on the AR boxes are hard left and right. On the back of the console you can get a mono since they are using a normaling jack. I have felt they need to address this in the firmware to allow for a panning or switch to mono when using a stage box. Otherwise you have to use a Y cable or combiner or some form of mono mixing. Or add two mics or DI’s.

Profile photo of cornelius78
    cornelius78
    Participant

The issue is with the design of the AR84 vs the design of the Qu. The St2 input on the Qu comprises two TRS sockets, and the left channel is electrically normalled through the right channel. This is what makes the channel essentially mono when there’s something plugged in only on the left. It happens before the ADC and the DSP. As the inputs on the AR84 aren’t wired this way, whatever’s plugged into the left input of St2 on the AR84 stays on the left. Unless A&H implement a soft patchbay ala GLD and allow you to patch a single input to feed multiple channels, or they implement some sort of option to allow the ST channels to be treated as mono and panned accordingly, you’re probably out of luck.

Edit: Beaten. That’s what happens when I don’t refresh the page before responding.

Profile photo of skippy
    skippy
    Participant

I figured that was the case, I ordered a couple of splitters for now, thank you for the help. Hopefully they can fix that issue in the future. LK

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

On some digital mixers, the pan control of the stereo channels runs as if it’s the left one, and the right does the opposite. So all the way left gives normal stereo, centre is 2 x mono, and all the way right is reversed stereo.
    I thought the QU did this too, but it looks like I’m wrong. So what does the pan do?

Profile photo of Hawk
    Hawk
    Participant

the pan on the stereo channels are not right on QU. It should be balance control rather than pan, that is to say control how wide the stereo spread is.

Profile photo of mervaka
    mervaka
    Participant

I agree. Changing the ‘balance’ of a stereo input channel to a ‘width’ control has a lot more practical uses!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Dittos. From mono to full stereo.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.