ST1 ends up with everything

Forums Forums Qu Forums Qu troubleshooting ST1 ends up with everything

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of GR-PDX GR-PDX 10 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Hmmm…well, I tried recording a rehearsal for my band just now on the multitrack. Used a pair of Avenson STO-2 mics as drum overheads, and I have to say I’m mighty impressed. About the best “in the room” sound I’ve ever gotten, and they have an uncanny knack of reaching past the brass to hear the drum skins.

Anyway, I had put my guitar via AxeFX direct into ST1. On playback, I can hear bits of everything on that channel, instead of just the guitar. Time to go back and RTFM, but with the ST1 channels both listed right there on the Qdrive meters, I thought that I’d be able to use them as tracks. Guess not?

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi George,

If you’ve just updated to V1.31, note that the Track 17-18 default patching has changed from ST1 to LR. Qu-Drive Stereo recording shares the same patch as Track 17-18. You might need to patch ST1 again from the Setup / Output Patch / USB Audio screen.

If you are recording with a DAW, make sure the DAW is routing back an individual track (not its master bus) to USB 17-18.

Hope this helps.

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Thank you, Nicola. I suspect you’re right, but I will have to do some more experimenting.

FWIW, I started a thread in the suggestion area based on this:

…and for some reason the link feature of this forum isn’t working. See the thread “More usability input” in the suggestions forum.

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

So…the other thing, and this is actually related to part of that usability thread:

Presumably that means that 17-18 were recording the main L/R outs? It does not mean that somehow the routing is to have L/R output to those channels?

If that’s right, how would that be helpful in a multitrack situation where presumably you want to do mixdown after the fact? Why did that change from prior firmware versions?

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

I verified that what Nicola pointed out was indeed the issue.

BUT…you almost had me fooled again! Turns out this parameter is also stored with the scene, so when I first tried it I got the same effect because I had changed scenes since I switched that parameter.

The firmware update change this parameter individually for all my scenes, so now all of them will attempt to record a fairly useless stereo mix of the other tracks to 17-18 unless it gets manually changed back.

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

You can block the USB Output patch in the Global Filter screen, so that it is not affected by Scene recall.

The reason why Track 17-18 are now set to LR is because they now share the same patch as Qu-Drive Stereo recording. This was necessary in order to accommodate the request for patchable outputs and support of Qu-24.

Profile photo of GR-PDX
    GR-PDX
    Participant

Ah! That makes sense now, Nicola, as far as why you would patch LR that way.

I’ll see if I can find the global setting that you mention. I really wish routing functions were more co-located. Just sayin’

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.