ST1 and ST2 Inputs

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions ST1 and ST2 Inputs

This topic contains 8 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of  Anonymous 5 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of jdugger
    jdugger
    Participant

Another noob question.

I’m using my SQ-6 as my primary audio interface to the computer. I set it up so that the 24 preamp channels go directly to the USB outputs (inputs to the computer), and then did the same for the USB returns. So, I’ve “used up” my 48 input channels on the SQ-6, even as I have 8 USB channels left for both input and output to the computer.

Is there a way to use inputs such as ST1 and ST2 and get those to the unused USB inputs to the computer? They seem pretty ideal for doing things like hooking up external preamps where a gain setting isn’t really necessary.

Will Tie Lines do this?

Same question on the way out — can I get to USB #25 even though I’m out of input channels and route to one of the analog outputs? (no gain settings required here either!)

Profile photo of peterlanders
    peterlanders
    Participant

The trick is, they’re not so much 48 input channels, as they are 48 PROCESSING channels. The board can mix/route 48 channels out of potentially quite a few more physical or digital connections. The I/O screen assigns physical/digital connections to internal processing channels, and then all further processing is done on those. What you’re asking would require more channels, I’m afraid, because only patched channels can be routed to a destination.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Tie lines will do this!. with tie lines you can directly route any input to any output socket without the need to consume any internal mixer processing. So it will be possible to assign the ST-inputs to any USB output and vice versa.

peterlanders
    Participant

Hmm, then I guess I stand corrected! I hadn’t paid attention when those were added in 1.30…

Profile photo of jdugger
    jdugger
    Participant

It’s really a genius feature. (Tie Lines)

I have the SQ-6 — 24 inputs is really plenty for me — but it will be very nice to dedicate the ST1 and 2 inputs to external preamps or processors.

With Nuendo there’s automatic handling of external processors, and this allows me to wire in those devices and makes them very easy to use and integrate into the studio.

It’s taken me a bit to get used to what the SQ-6 can do — it does much more than I need — but I’m pretty impressed with it.

peterlanders
    Participant

I know I’m barely using it any differently than I’d use an analogue mixer, other than arranging the faders the way I want them. As much as anything else, I opted for the SQ-6 so I’d have a decent digital board at home to properly dive into without any deadlines or waiting performers… 🙂

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Hi everybody 🙂 I am having an Sq7 (bought a few days ago ) and still setting it up to my needs as a Console to use in the studio with cubase 9.5 So if i understand right here…this means i could route a signal that comes from my DAW direct to an Aux output ? I explain more deeper what i want to do… — I am using an E-RM multiclock to adjust Midi clock for all my hardware synths that use their own internal sequencer (so they stay 100 % in the Tempo with the DAW). This Multiclock is using its own Plugin in the DAW to send an Audio signal to the Multiclock Box wich then generates its own Midi clock… So what I now have to do is I would need to route that signal back to a channel on the SQ7 and then route it to the Aux Out wich goes into the Multiclock box… This way it is sadly using a Channel from my 32 Channels of my Mixer… So could i route this signal direct out to the Aux with the Tie Lines ? That would be amazing because I havent already enough Channels to hock up all my Gear..

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

I think that will work. You set it up as a tie line, choosing input & output. Then assign the input to a strip, so that you can set the level. Once done, you can remove it from that strip again, and it will continue to pass the signal to your chosen output.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Wow Thank you Mark. I’ll try that out as soon i am familiar with the Sq7 and its features. The switch from my presonus to the Sq7 is a great positive adventure 🙂

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.