SQ7 some channels send to AUX even when muted

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ7 some channels send to AUX even when muted

This topic contains 15 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Tanner
    Tanner
    Participant

We just purchased an SQ-7 for our church and set it up. Everything works great except for our Pulpit mic (Local input 1) and one of our singer mics (local input 3). On these channels, they sent to an aux output even when they are muted. Input 1 sends to aux 1 output and input 3 sends to aux 3 output. Even though the AUX1 and AUX3 output are turned down to negative infinity, we still get sound coming out of the AUX outputs (which are stage monitors). Due to this, the pulpit mic (very sensitive boundary mic) picks up audio coming from the monitor on AUX1 and creates feedback and squealing noises. If I mute the AUX1 or AUX3 on Layer C (the master volume for the AUX), then the issue is fixed, but then these monitors do not work for any other channels.

I was looking on the Routing screen and selecting Input1, then selecting Input2 (which doesn’t have this problem) to compare the results, but I don’t see anything different. If I go to the routing screen I can see that the Mix Sends are all the day down for these AUX outputs, yet I still get audio coming through them.

Any ideas?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

When you select Aux 1 or 3 master, and look at the processing screen, are those input sockets selected in the “Mix Ext In” section? They shouldn’t be, normally.

Another (unlikely) thing to check is that there’s not an effect being sent to these Aux – though if it was you’d probably notice it.

Profile photo of Tanner
    Tanner
    Participant

I am remoting into a PC and using the SQ MixPad app to view settings while I am away from the board, so not sure if the software shows me everything that is available on the screen built into the board.

In the Mix EXT In section on AUX3 main Processing screen, I see a “Socket Preamp” section and a “Delay” section, but nothing else. I will check this next time I am physically in front of the board and see if I have more options.
    On the Insert Tab of the processing screen for AUX 3, Send is Unassigned and Return is Unassigned, just like the rest of our AUX outputs, so I assume this is normal.

All of our Effect processors channels are muted and turned all the way down on the main on Layer C, so effects shouldn’t be affecting anything.

I also checked the Send and Return settings of the input channels and they are all set to Unassigned as well.

Any other ideas, or do you think I should check the “Mix EXT In” section in person?

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@tanner

Why do you use aux instead of mix for monitors? Just curious.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Why do you use aux instead of mix for monitors? Just curious.

WOW, again another one of your post that almost will leave me speechless!!!

An aux and a mix are the same thing, QU’s call them mixes on the SQ they are called Auxes.

Aux sends are used to create monitor mixes, the term gets interchanged.
    In days of old you grabbed an aux knob to bring up a level to a monitor mix.
    Lot of knobs to keep straight if your doing a dozen monitor mixes at the side of stage.
    Today it’s keeping layers and menus in order.

volounteer
    Participant

@mikec

yet as I recall, our Qu has an aux out that is distinct from the mixes.
    was that another senior moment or does the Qu have both and they are distinct?

maybe SQ is different.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

yet as I recall, our Qu has an aux out that is distinct from the mixes.
    was that another senior moment or does the Qu have both and they are distinct?

maybe SQ is different.

The QU has an ALT OUT that any output on the mixer can be routed to in the IO setup.

The QU has nothing labeled as an AUX they are called mixes in the QU world for all intent and purposes they could have been called an to carry on the AUX name sake. Groups on the QU can be switched to become additional mixes/auxes.

The SQ has 12 busses that can be assigned to be groups or auxes (as they called on the SQ) in any combination.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

We just purchased an SQ-7 for our church and set it up. Everything works great except for our Pulpit mic (Local input 1) and one of our singer mics (local input 3). On these channels, they sent to an aux output even when they are muted. Input 1 sends to aux 1 output and input 3 sends to aux 3 output. Even though the AUX1 and AUX3 output are turned down to negative infinity, we still get sound coming out of the AUX outputs (which are stage monitors). Due to this, the pulpit mic (very sensitive boundary mic) picks up audio coming from the monitor on AUX1 and creates feedback and squealing noises. If I mute the AUX1 or AUX3 on Layer C (the master volume for the AUX), then the issue is fixed, but then these monitors do not work for any other channels.

So to be clear if you go to AUX 1 send level on your pulpit mic channel and turn it down you can still hear the pulpit mic coming out of a monitor that is fed from AUX 1?
    What happens if you turn down all the AUX sends on the pulpit mic channel?

Profile photo of Tanner
    Tanner
    Participant

That is correct Mike. We go to the routing screen with the Pulpit mic selected (local input 1) and have AUX1-AUX4 turned down to negative infinity. I believe we even pressed the “OFF” button above the AUX mix and still get volume coming through. We do have AUX5-8 still on, so i will try turning those down. Those AUX outputs are going to our live stream camera and TV record mix, so they shouldn’t have an effect on the stage monitors however.

I even turn the volume all the way down on the master AUX1 volume control and still get audio coming through. If I completely mute it then the audio stops however.

I am almost positive everything above is correct, but I will double check tomorrow morning when at the board again.

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

Take a look on your I/O and see if the socket is patched to more than one channel.
    Could be you have it into a second channel on another Layer, also sending to that Aux mix.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Are you using a matrix output for that monitor mix?

Profile photo of Tanner
    Tanner
    Participant

Mix EXT IN was the issue. We cleared that out and now everything is working great. Thanks for all the help! We are switching from analog to digital, so there is a big learning curve here.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Mix EXT IN was the issue. We cleared that out and now everything is working great. Thanks for all the help! We are switching from analog to digital, so there is a big learning curve here.

Thanks for the update.

volounteer
    Participant

@tanner

Digital is different and requires a few changes.

I would hope the real learning is caused by the different topological structure of the signal paths on the new board.

Profile photo of Jaces
    Jaces
    Participant

I am also having the same issue, my input 1 also sends to aux 1 even when muted. I have tried finding the ‘Mix Ext In’ mentioned but to no avail. It would be lovely if anyone can walk me through the steps to find it. Note: I am also on the SQ-7

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.