SQ7 Mono Output Busses

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ7 Mono Output Busses

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Scott Scott 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of JB
    JB
    Participant

Hi,

In all the literature for the SQ7 desk it talks about there being 12 stereo output busses (Auxes/Groups). I’m not needing too many stereo outputs as most of mine would be mono.

I assume this means that I could configure the desk with 24 mono Auxes and 0 Groups or, in my case 10 mono Auxes, 1 stereo Group, and 6 mono Groups?

I’m trying to spec a desk for our new church building and need to clarify details like these.

Many thanks

JB

Profile photo of JB
    JB
    Participant

Hi,

As a follow-up, can the stereo Matrix outputs be configured as mono, thereby doubling the number of outputs.

There doesn’t appear to be a computer based editor for the desks so I can’t experiment how I’d like to.

Cheers

JB

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi JB,

On top of the LR mix, SQ has 12 mixes that can be configured for stereo or mono use, but not split.
    The 3 Matrices are currently stereo only, though we are looking into adding a mono sum option for these too.

If the install definitely requires more configurable busses than this, then the GLD or dLive ranges might be more suitable.
    However, if you’re planning to use a lot of these busses for monitoring, then you could also check out the ME personal monitors (ME-1 and ME-500) as these would not eat into the bus count.

Cheers!
    Keith.

Profile photo of JB
    JB
    Participant

Thank you Keith,

A further question then: Can input channels be sent directly to Matrix outputs or do they have to go through Groups?

I would really like us to have a d-Live, we have several at the Uni where I teach and that with Dante would tick the boxes we need ticked but it doesn’t fit in the budget as it stands.

Many thanks

Jon

KeithJ A&H

Hi Jon,

The Matrices do have a ‘Mix Ext In’ option to route a specific socket, but a matrix is for combining/mixing buses so input channels do need to be routed to a mix before getting to the matrix.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Andy
    Andy
    Participant

A “mono sum” button on the screen for the matrixes would be great. Please also for the QU mixers. Then I could get rid of my adapters with resistors which now do the summing analogue after the outputs.

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

If it can do 12 stereo groups/auxes, it has obviously the power for 24 mono groups/auxes. Why no split? Stop with the “we got to separate it from the more expensive series” madness. There are lots of other features as a difference between SQ and dLive.

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

Agreed, you can fake having 24 mono mixes by using the L/R pan to determine the individual level differences.

Profile photo of JB
    JB
    Participant

Hi lightingman,

That would work but kinda screws the left/right mix where that’s needed. Like in the main mix and recording.

I just need to either raise more money or reduce the band size 🙂

Jon

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Is panning stereo mixes not independent for each one, as it is on Qu?
    Still not ideal, but does not mess with main mix.

Profile photo of JB
    JB
    Participant

Hi Mark,

I’ve got a couple of Qu desks here, I’ll have a look and see how that works. Though as you say – not ideal. At the church we have trained amateur engineers where it’s probably better to keep it as straightforward as possible.

I’ll keep thinking and looking (bit of praying probably won’t go amiss).

Cheers

Jon

Profile photo of andymacstudios
    andymacstudios
    Participant

Any update on mono sum for the SQ-7 matrix? The block diagram in the Technical Datasheet shows “Configurable as MONO or STEREO” but I sure can’t find a setting to switch. This would really be ideal for my configuration. I don’t even need matrix splits, just the 3 in mono would be great. I would also assume the ability to patch the mono matrix to a single output socket will be coming with this change as well?

Thanks,

Andy

KeithJ A&H

Hi @andymacstudios ,

We are planning to add an option to set matrix to mono in a future update.
    The block diagram reflects this, though I’m afraid the change did not make it into firmware V1.3, so it is not possible just yet.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of lightingman117
    lightingman117
    Participant

You can create a mono sum using some resistors if its really needed now.

https://www.rane.com/note109.html

Profile photo of Rob-Spence
    Rob-Spence
    Participant

If a used desk is ok, you could likely pick up a GLD80 for about the price of a SQ6.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.