SQ6 USB-B Recording to DAW issues

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ6 USB-B Recording to DAW issues

This topic contains 19 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of volounteer volounteer 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Participant

Hey all,

Im all setup to do a multitrack recording tomorrow from my SQ6 (running 1.5.1) to my MacBook Pro running Logic Pro X but im having some strange issues.

My stage is setup and so is my DAW. I have Tie lines setup, and everything is patched. I can see them all coming through to my computer.

my 2 issues (one being less important but possibly part of the second) are:

ISSUE 1
    When I play music from my PC to my SQ (over USB) every once in a wile the music will stutter quickly. (This music is downloaded straight to my computer so this isn’t an internet issue while streaming)

Issue 2
    When I record onto my DAW everything looks fine but when listening in to the recordings im getting a similar skip or or lag that is making the recordings useless.

Is this a possible 1.5.1 issue? Could this be a bad USB A-B cable? (Ive tried 2 different ones)

Has anyone faced this issue and solved it? Or should I give the SQ Drive a shot? (The ability to record to a DAW was kind of one of the bigger selling points on this for me.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant
    Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Participant

Hey Steffen,

I did see this but I don’t think its the same as my issue. The audio issue I’m facing isn’t a distortion of the sound recording its actually a stutter or skip in the actual recording. Sounds more like there is a piece missing.

eg: if the sentence recorded was “We went to the park” the recording sounds like “we wen-ark” and its happening randomly all around the recording.

Is there a specific page of this link that will assist me further? its like 17 pages long. I can see you have had a lot of input on the page, so if you know what I can do give me a shout.

Sorry this didn’t really help.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@Dan

Did you scrub your pc for audio use?
    Delete all crapware and social media software that could phone home.
    Delete the antivirus protection or at least disable it during audio use.
    Check for virus and malware.

Buffer sizes are also an issue.

Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Participant

Hey @volunteer,

Im working on a brand new MacBook (weeks old) so there’s literally nothing else other then an antivirus. Ill give the scan a try.

Can you explain how buffer issue can be an issue? Do I want it higher or lower its currently at 128 samples

Took a dinner break to think things over UPDATE: Ive found that switching over to 48kHz has fixed my “Issue 1” from my previous post. Ive just listened to 4 consecutive songs without that “skip”/”stall” I mentioned.

Gonna play some music for the mics to pickup, and going to attempt a long duration recording now to see if the tracks are clean too.

Not sure why I’m having the 96kHz issue though. Could it be because I have 48kHz stage boxes attached? Just thinking of that now.

Thank you for your thoughts!

volounteer
    Participant

@Dan

if the antivirus is running it can steal cycles causing problem

buffers are in the DAW and you should be able to set the size in KB or MB
    yes conversion between rates could be the issue but unlikely

most new pcs come with crapware installed
    are you sure there is nothing that could call home to delay the audio causing the problems

unlikely with a new pc but hard disk defects could be doing it when you hit a bad spot and it had to retry elsewhere
    or if it needed defragging

you might have better luck finding the cause of the problem on a logic pro forum

Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Participant

@Volounteer

Ohh okok I will disable it completely. That makes sense, thank you.

Im running a MacBook Pro 2020 and I had AdBlock Pro enabled. But when im in the recording session I don’t have any other programs running or on in th background. Just my DAW, The A&H DAW controller app and the application to play the music for the mics to pick up.

Im gonna give that a try and have a look on a Logic forum for some buffer info.

The only buffer options I see in my preferences are “I/O Buffer Size” the option are a range of sample numbers from 32 to 1024 and “Process Buffer Range” Options range from small to large.

And If I could I just want to ask wha you mean by “call home” I apologize I’m not sure what you mean by that.

Thank you so much again for your input. At the very least I’m going to be able to get a 48kHz recording in tomorrow. I went in tonight and tried out a recording 4 songs long at 48k and all of the tracks came out clean.

SteffenR
    Participant

a MacBook 2020 has more than enough resources to run many programs at the same time

don’t disable antivirus or other security programs in the first place
    only do this for trouble shooting

I guess your Macbook has no USB A ports anymore
    so you have to use an USB adapter or a cable USB-C to try to use a different cable or a different adapter first
    a USB 2.0 cable would be enough so no big deal if it doesn’t help

volounteer
    Participant

If you are not online then you do not need any anti malware programs

My win98SE runs faster than xp with NO protection of any kind except an air gap which is one way out of the machine
    the newer laptops with 8 and 10 might just run faster than the SE

SteffenR
    Participant

***content removed***

we live in 2020, and he uses a Mac with SSD’s
    completly off topic and not helpful at all

volounteer
    Participant

@SteffenR

completely on topic no matter what he uses

no matter how much capacity the machine has some users try to do more than it can and then have problems with the audio

telling people what causes problems that other people have which relates to his OP is helpful

You being a bully is not helpful
    Nor insulting new users asking a question because you think they are stupid

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

I have a similar problem with the new Firmware update (1.5.1). The only issue is that the SQ6 is getting signal, but my DAW (logic pro x)is not getting signal. I’ve tried restarting the board, the DAW, the computer. Unplugging and replugging the usb from the sq6 to the computer (Mac Pro). I had no issues before the update, but after the update, I had this issue pop up. Any ideas?

Profile photo of Nick
    Nick
    Participant

I went ahead and called Allen and Heath and got the answer I needed. But just for anyone else who might have this problem in the future, in the new firmware update (1.5.1) a new option was added to the board. Setup ——> audio ——> USB. There’s now two options, SQ6 Drive and USB Port and USB port is what sends to your DAW.

Profile photo of junior
    junior
    Participant

Allen Heath’s biggest problem is this recording, both SQdrive and usb b. It starts with the large incompatibility of the pendrive, the vast majority does not work with the SQ and QU line, then comes the pcs that if they are with USB 3.0 ports do not work and so on ……. The worst thing is that update 1.5.1 if someone tries to record through SQdrive the console crashes everything, it just doesn’t work like it did with me, I had to ask the band to stop the show and turn off the console to be able to work again. I’m not the only one who did this, I’ve seen other reports, even have a topic about it here. I think Allen Heath has to take serious steps or he will lose customers

volounteer
    Participant

@junior

usb is indeed a big problem with our Qu and apparently with many of AH devices.

So is there any other vendor out there where the usb works perfectly BUT
    does not have some other unique problems of their own ?

AH seems to be selling well.
    I am sure they are weighing all options for the total long term benefit of the entire company.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.