SQ6 to QU-SB (using as Stage Box versus DX168)

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ6 to QU-SB (using as Stage Box versus DX168)

This topic contains 13 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Silvermake Silvermake 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of andyoz
    andyoz
    Participant

I have a QU-SB and from what I’m reading it should connect to my new SQ6 (once I update the firmware etc).
    That’s great as I could never do that with the QU desks…

I was thinking of using it as stage box but what would the audio differences be between the QU-SB and DX168?

I’m not sure I will use the QU-SB as a standalone unit and trying to figure out whether to sell it and put money towards a DX168

It will be used for rock bands so absolute fidelty not the main goal but still a shame to cobble the SQ6 a bit by using a stage box with ‘lesser’ preamps etc.

Andy

Profile photo of scruffyd
    scruffyd
    Participant

Hi @andyoz.
    You can digitally split channels between SQ and QU mixers. However, you cannot control the preamps on one one from the other. IE one cannot function as a stagebox for the other.

Profile photo of andyoz
    andyoz
    Participant

Hi,

That’s a great point. So to control the QU-SB would mean firing up the QU App plus router. No thanks.

SQ still nerds deducated stage box then…

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

QuSB is 48kHz & Qu series pre’s, the SQ preamps are more in line with the dLive sound, and the whole system clocks at 96kHz (it runs at 48kHz when you plug it into an AR rack or Qu as the Stagebox)… so you actually throttle the console’s sound using it with the Qu’s, but the benefit of a digital split off a single cable is great… I’ve already used it with dLive as a monitor console a couple times (off the dLive it’s still 96kHz obviously) from a single cable, I love that convenience!

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi all,

The Qu-SB is not a stage box, and does not have a stage box ‘mode’ or similar, it is a fully featured mixer in it’s own right.
    (By connecting a Qu to an SQ digitally, you are actually connecting two different systems.)
    Saying that- there are many engineers using it in place of a stage box, who control Qu preamps using Qu-Pad as you say, but carry out the main mixing on SQ.

@biggsounds – The SQ always runs at 96kHz internally. So the 48kHz sections are only at either end of the signal chain when using 48kHz units (AR/AB, ME or Qu). If you were clocked to a Qu for example, you could still use the Local I/O and all AD/DA conversion and processing would be at 96kHz. This is because all the SRC happens at the SLink port.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of andyoz
    andyoz
    Participant

Yes,

It’s all clear now. I just have the SB already and thought it might work as a backup to the real thing (which it sort of can). DX168 is really the go here.

The QU-SB is a good value unit that’s for sure.

Andy

Profile photo of Jay-T
    Jay-T
    Participant

Can I use the Qu-SB with a DX168?

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

No.

Profile photo of Dave
    Dave
    Participant

I’m not sure about this one. I have a AB168 and Qu-SB. Can you use the SLink port and go to the AB168, then expand port to the Qu-SB?

Biggsounds
    Participant

Keith, assuming that if you can connect a Qu console to the SQ’s via dSnake, you could use the same protocol to connect to a GLD (in the case where you wanted to use sLink to connect to a console side of stage and share gain)?!?
    Would only help if the GLD can ‘see’ the SQ ins and outs, as you’d have to be using the SQ analog I/O at the stage end… maybe it’s a Dante only solution?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi @biggsounds ,

Unfortunately this is not possible. Although you are correct in saying they use the same protocol, it is not possible to make a GLD ‘discoverable’ in the same way as we have done with Qu in order to achieve the dSnake <-> SLink port connection.
    Direct connection between GLD and SQ does indeed require either Dante or Waves.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of Silvermake
    Silvermake
    Participant

I just tested, and yes, direct connection between GLD and SQ is possible! You can route input signals from SQ to S-link and connect cat-cable from SQ:s S-link port to GLD Dsnake port. Working fine! It needs a little bit of ins and outs configuration, but it works. 🙂

If you need more than 16 inputs, then you need another S-link card, where you can connect for example AR2412 stage box.

Biggsounds
    Participant

@silvermake I assume you mean it’s limited to 16 as you’re using an SQ5? I think it’s a moot point if it’ll send outputs but not accept returns, so I’ll have to consider Dante for those scenarios.

Profile photo of Silvermake
    Silvermake
    Participant

@biggsounds Limited to 16 ins, if you use SQ5 local inputs, but adding another SLink card to SQ, you can add more inputs, or use SQ6 or SQ7.

SQ accepts returns also. So, if I have GLD in FOH and SQ in mon, I can send main L & R signal from GLD to SQ.

I have limited time to test every scenario, but this looks very promising for FOH & MON configuration.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.