SQ6 send 20 channels to one stereo out for streaming … how?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ6 send 20 channels to one stereo out for streaming … how?

Tagged: 

This topic contains 18 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SteffenR SteffenR 3 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of torstendrums
    torstendrums
    Participant

Hi there!

I want to send all my channels i use (let’s say 16 channels) to one stereo out and send this stereo signal to my MAC.
    I’m using ”ManyCam” for a streaming – rehearsal room – concert and want to use the sound from my desk.

Is it possible to route all my channels I need to one stereo out so that I can get the stereo signal in my computer via usb?

Hope that someone could help,
    Best from germany,
    Torsten

Profile photo of peterlanders
    peterlanders
    Participant

USB is just another set of outputs on the SQ, so there’s nothing special to do. You can send the Main LR mix to USB, or if you want to leave that alone you can set up a stereo Aux mix (with default board settings, there are a couple of stereo auxes already set up starting at the Mix 5 button). Any inputs you bring up in that mix will then be included in the output, USB or otherwise.

You’ll need to route the mix output on the I/O screen. See section 6.4 in the reference guide (page 19) for a screen shot, and that whole chapter for detailed information. On the Outputs-Mix Out tab (on the left) select USB on the top. You’ll want to make sure the USB ‘source’ is set to USB-B. Patch the left and right channels of your main or aux mix to the desired USB output channels, and you’re all set. Just configure the software on your Mac to listen to the right inputs.

Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

You’re much better off using a matrix for a typical stereo send.

If you’re in need of a mix that’s separate from your main L/R mix, then a stereo Aux is your answer.

torstendrums
    Participant

THANKS, guys – got it 🙂

Profile photo of whatsoup
    whatsoup
    Participant

This has got me thinking. Would it be possible to take the stereo USB channelss out of my SQ into my computer and somehow sync that up with a video camera (or phone) also connected to my PC. Probably out of the scope of this board, but just curious if anyone has done this. Would probably be easier for me to buy one of those things for my phone and stick a 3.5mm in, wouldn’t it? 🙂

torstendrums
    Participant

yes … a good question, @whatsoup

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

This has got me thinking. Would it be possible to take the stereo USB channelss out of my SQ into my computer and somehow sync that up with a video camera (or phone) also connected to my PC. Probably out of the scope of this board, but just curious if anyone has done this. Would probably be easier for me to buy one of those things for my phone and stick a 3.5mm in, wouldn’t it?

I just did that at an install in that case it was using a QU mixer though.
    Using the USB B jack on mixer feeding into a lap top they use for live streaming, I don’t know what the streaming software on the lap was or so much about that end of the set up but their system would pick up channels 1 and 2 of the USB B multitrack output.

In the IO output patch I set the USB outputs 1 & 2 to be the matrix feeding the live stream and unassigned the rest.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

As far as I’m aware there is NO stereo USB B output on the QU.
    I don’t know about the SQ though.
    I researched this for years to be able to feed an iPad pro with just 2 channels of USB through the USB port.
    Even if you turn off unused channels of USB B output “All USB channels are still sent” ?
    There are convertors to output 2 channels of USB available using the AES however they are horrendously expensive.
    So I would like to know the software they were using in their Laptop @mike C

Regards

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

As far as I’m aware there is NO stereo USB B output on the QU.
    I don’t know about the SQ though.
    I researched this for years to be able to feed an iPad pro with just 2 channels of USB through the USB port.
    Even if you turn off unused channels of USB B output “All USB channels are still sent” ?
    There are convertors to output 2 channels of USB available using the AES however they are horrendously expensive.
    So I would like to know the software they were using in their Laptop

True there is no dedicated stereo out on the USB B on either the SQ or QU but there lap top was just picking off tracks 1 and 2 for their streaming use.
    I do know that just their Windows 10 standard audio input set up would see just tracks 1 & 2 as well as Audactiy in normal stereo recording mode.

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

Sure
    The way I got around the problem is to feed an aux into a small Zed which supplies 2 Track USB for live stream
    Anyhow Cheers

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

The way I got around the problem is to feed an aux into a small Zed which supplies 2 Track USB for live stream
    Anyhow Cheers

I also have a small ZED that I have used as a USB IO interface….and it’s a handy little mixer as well.

Profile photo of kevo923
    kevo923
    Participant

We are using an SQ6 USB out to the iMac running the live stream on Ecamm Live to get the sound for our weekly service. The issue we run into is that two channels are overpowering the other channels during the music portions. When it is just the pastor speaking, his lapel works great. Would be interested to know if I can mix the live stream separately as well as increase the volume somehow without effecting the in house Mains. Very much a learning experience.

Currently the USB Out is just 1 fader signal in one of the layers. Have not mastered the SQ6 enough to adjust what incorporates a layer or a mix honestly. But currently it’s all one stereo sound going to the live stream.

Profile photo of volounteer
    volounteer
    Participant

@whatsoup

This has got me thinking. Would it be possible to take the stereo USB channelss out of my SQ into my computer and somehow sync that up with a video camera (or phone) also connected to my PC.

We used to send it to the camera and then on to obs to streaming

now we send it to the pc via an audio interface
    and then the pc unites the sound with the video
    then sends it for streaming

syncing has not been a problem for us (yet)

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

We are using an SQ6 USB out to the iMac running the live stream on Ecamm Live to get the sound for our weekly service. The issue we run into is that two channels are overpowering the other channels during the music portions. When it is just the pastor speaking, his lapel works great. Would be interested to know if I can mix the live stream separately as well as increase the volume somehow without effecting the in house Mains. Very much a learning experience.

Currently the USB Out is just 1 fader signal in one of the layers. Have not mastered the SQ6 enough to adjust what incorporates a layer or a mix honestly. But currently it’s all one stereo sound going to the live stream.

You really need to create a separate mix of sorts for the live stream.
    The how to has been posted here many times…a lot of them by me.

Basically you need to create a aux/mix for the live stream, it needs to be post fade, to start with set all of that aux/mix channel sends to the same level on all channels, say 50%. On the spoken word (pastor mic,ect) set those to maybe 80%. Apply some generous overall compression to the output of that aux/mix.

Start with that, have someone in another room listen to the live stream feed for over all level, mix balance, clipping, ect and report back to board operator.

Any needed mix changes will be done in the aux/mix channel send level mode for that mix.
    Since the mix is set to post fade it will still track what it is done to the main house mix.
    You can always listen to that mix by PAFLing it and using headphones.

Unless you have a lot of input changes week to week generally once you get the levels / mix balance tweaked for the live stream feed it will not need too much attention after the first time or two.

You can always use the SQ4 App to control the selected live stream aux/mix to make general mix balance adjustments.

The next step would be a separate mixer in an isolate room doing a full mix just for the live stream

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

This has got me thinking. Would it be possible to take the stereo USB channelss out of my SQ into my computer and somehow sync that up with a video camera (or phone) also connected to my PC. Probably out of the scope of this board, but just curious if anyone has done this. Would probably be easier for me to buy one of those things for my phone and stick a 3.5mm in, wouldn’t it?

Yes you can take the multi track USB feed into a computer to use for a live stream
    audio feed.
    Most of the time the streaming encoder software will see tracks 1 & 2, in the IO set up you can assign the needed mix source to those tracks/channels on the multitrack feed.

Using a phone 3.5 input has a couple things to consider, first that input needs to be mic level, live level will overload it and distort badly, second those are a four conductor input know as tip, ring, ring, sleeve.
    The sleeve is the mic input and the first ring is ground, so you will need to make or buy a proper adapter to get the correct level and pin out configuration.

Are you using the phone camera as the main video camera source?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.