SQ6 & AR2412 Popping Noise with Dsnake

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ6 & AR2412 Popping Noise with Dsnake

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Dan Dan 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of justinrude
    justinrude
    Participant

All,

I recently installed an SQ6 along with a 2412 and 0804 in a new construction church using proper shielded cat5e and shielded RJ45 on both ends. 32 stage inputs feed into the 2412 and 0804.

At the board, small pops happen randomly on ch1-24 sourced from 2412 on Dsnake. This symptom persists even with a replaced 2412, new terminations, new shielded cat5e, unplugging all XLR at 2412 and 0804, and utilizing power conditioners for all equipment.

Anyone have a thought? Client is becoming frustrated with lack of progress.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I haven’t tried this combination but am getting ready to do an install with SQ6, 2412 and 168 so am curious. It should work.

Profile photo of airickess
    airickess
    Participant

I wonder if it is a clocking issue.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

I did several concerts with either a combination of a SQ6 with an AR2412 and AR8904 as well the combination of the SQ6 with the AR2412 and a AB168. I always used a professional cat5 cable from Klotz with Ethercon connectors. Now I am using the SQ6 together with two DX168X. Mostly I use the same cable but in some cases I also used a pre installed cat5 cable from the venue (standard IT cables). I never had a problem with that combinations. But I have to confess that I always use a UPOS for the stageboxes and one for the SQ6. I do that mainly to prevent the mixer system from accently shutdowns when there are power issues in the venue. In my opinion power conditioners are not worth the money.

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

How long is the cable? Is this happening with only the SQ and AR2412? What do you mean by termination? I recently worked with an SQ and an AR2412, I had no such issues.

Profile photo of justinrude
    justinrude
    Participant

Cable is approximately 150′. A termination is an industry term for a connector at the end of the cable, in this case a shielded cat5e Rj45.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Where do you place the terminations? In fact you don‘t need them. Simply use your cat5 cable to connect the SQ sLink to the AR2412 dSnake. Connect the AR2412 to the AR84 (Expander on both devices). Thats it, no terminations.

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

Never used any termination. What would you terminate it with?

Profile photo of Jens-Droessler
    Jens-Droessler
    Participant

I think he means the connector at the end of the Cat cable itself, no additional connector. There is no termination for ethernet based systems, unless you’re talking old 10base-T systems with coaxial RG58 cabling, which to my knowledge has never been used for ethernet based audio networking purposes.

If that’s what you mean, justinrude, just call it connector or RJ45 or EtherCon connector. Termination sounds very strange as there is technically no termination happening.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

The termination of the cable is the connector

to the original problem…

did you replaced the SQ? just for a test?
    try to get another one or at least a QU…
    I doubt that it’s the cable…

Profile photo of Dan
    Dan
    Participant

“I wonder if it is a clocking issue.”

I too was receiving sequential noise pops when sq-7 was connected to ar2412 with linked ar84.

We temporally had a QU-SB connected with IP Direct Outputs for another gig and forgot to set AUDIO SYNC CLOCK SOURCE back to internal when done. Changed back and problem solved for us.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.