SQ5 Touch screen bug

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ5 Touch screen bug

This topic contains 36 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of SimonVB SimonVB 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Bracumba
    Bracumba
    Participant

“On first start” My screen is also, now and again, non responsive. And here also; after a restart it always works. Thought it would be good to share this.

Profile photo of Ben
    Ben
    Participant

I had posted about this issue here. Support was telling me it was defective hardware but surely this seems like more of a software issue.

Still no real acknowledgement as either a widespread hardware or software from A&H.

Profile photo of Dave Meadowcroft
    Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

This happened to me on Saturday at start up for the first time in over 2 years of owning the console.
    Recently updated to 1.5.7 from 1.5.4…
    A restart using the power switch sorted it – but it was a bit worrying. There’s definitely a firmware bug, I might go back as I’m not using any new hardware with component changes.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi all,

We have now managed to reproduce this (and log it as a bug) and it looks to be an issue in the boot process where the touchscreen does not initialise correctly.
    This is very intermittent (it’s taken hundreds of boot cycles to catch) which of course makes it very difficult to work on (and especially to test!), but we will continue to investigate and have a fix available as soon as possible.

As you have found, and due to it being a part of the boot process, a reboot will clear the problem.
    Because it will not be possible to run the shutdown procedure, it is safest to shut down when:
    – adjustments have not been made for 20secs
    – SQ-Drive is not in use
    – there are no network connections

Apologies for this inconvenience.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

We have now managed to reproduce this (and log it as a bug)

Wonderful news. Fight the good fight.

Profile photo of Bracumba
    Bracumba
    Participant

Thanks once again,for the fantastic support. For what its worth; I have the impression that this happens here more often in the home studio, when I try to start up the SQ, hooked to the network (Control/Dante/BomeBox etc.). And less in a stand-alone start up. But it is indeed hard to tell wether this is truly the case. Succes with the debug. Greetings

Profile photo of CharlieMartin
    CharlieMartin
    Participant

I have exactly the same problem, on two SQ5, swapped out the first for the second, and the problem remained so not SQ5 hardware related, reboot seems to solve the problem but my confidence in the SQ has gone….I hope a firmware update solves this very soon (and to admit that it was a problem in the first place!)

Profile photo of andy.oz
    andy.oz
    Participant

I also encountered this problem on the SQ5 console. Rebooting with a button helps. Can I go back to firmware 1.5.4 or 1.5.5?

Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

I never had this in the 2+ years since I got the SQ until last week, and again tonight just before the show started!!!

It was rock solid on 1.5.4so going back to that tomorrow.

So long as you don’t have any newer stage boxes with the recent component changes then you’re good to go back.

Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant

@KeithJ A&H
    A little more info now the gig is done…

This time it wasn’t a cold start.
    The console was switched on at around 3pm and then locked at 7pm.
    I unlocked it at 9pm successfully but it immediately froze.

A restart using the power switch (after turning off all the PA and monitor amps of course) sorted it and the rest of the gig was fine thankfully.

Hope that helps!
    (Back on 1.5.4 now)

Profile photo of Grant
    Grant
    Participant

We recently ran into this issue as well with our SQ-5. Started when we updated our firmware to 1.5.7. It’s only happened 3 or 4 times over the course or a few months. Looking to revert to an older version for the time being. Does anyone have a download link for 1.5.4? All I see on the website is 1.5.7, 1.4.4, or 1.3.2.
    Thanks!

Dave Meadowcroft
    Participant
    Profile photo of danielaurora
    danielaurora
    Participant

G’day champions!

I’ve been having 2 of my SQs screens locking. Consoles still pass audio and you can still adjust any parameters that have a physical control (such as faders, comp and gate threshold, gain, hpf, eqs, etc.), but it stays on a selected screen so you can’t see what’s happening, or tap other parameters to use with the rotary encoder. Sometimes they do it after 2 minutes, sometimes not at all. They have to be rebooted as they do not sort themselves out. They’re on current firmware. If an iPad is connected it can be used for full control. I have had it happen a lot while doing a multitrack usb recording, which makes you lose the recording as well. As such I no longer use SQ drive for recording as it cannot be relied upon even with the recommended drives now it seems.

I asked my distributor (who are pretty good to deal with) and they said submit a ticket with A+H. I did that and they told me to just ask on the forum. While trying to create an account it told me to submit a ticket. Soooooooo……………. ummmmm………………. Not really sure what the next move is.

In case this gets a response, I’d love to know what to do about a bunch of other issues I’ve got right now (a dead dLive C3500 with less than 20 hours use and not being able to use add ons that I’ve paid for on some SQs). I’ve really been struggling to get customer support lately, which I’m hoping is just a string of bad luck as I’ve found Allen and Heath great to deal with for the past decade or more and I really love the products. They’re the most reliable consoles I’ve ever used. I’ve flown at least a few times a month, and done a few local shows a week with the same SQ5 and AR2412 in a pelican case for about 5 years (lucky to live in a place where we still had gigs during Covid) and I still haven’t had one real issue with it. Still has the original faders! Also have a CTi1500 that’s doing great.

I’m more than happy to give you absolutely any information that you want, so please feel free to ask away. I’ll happily try to get the problem to repeat during the week in the factory so we can find what causes it if you need.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hey @danielaurora

You spoke with Rafa on the support system and I’ve just read through his reply – the only thing he recommended bringing here to the community were feature suggestions.
    http://support.allen-heath.com is the best way to get support from us directly, though of course there are also our distribution partners who can assist and will look after any repairs and servicing if required as well as anything else relating to hardware or parts. (and agreed btw, TAG are ace!).

In your case, there were multiple things, some which we can help you with, and some which would need involvement from TAG.
    Please respond to Rafa’s questions there and we’ll be able to help 🙂

RE: The touchscreen issue though – this is a bug of some sort and will be fixed, we’re still on it!

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of EEFCTech
    EEFCTech
    Participant

One of our SQ5s has had several occasions in the last few months where the touchscreen was unresponsive on startup. Restarting it has always resolved the issue.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.