SQ5 midi note in

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ5 midi note in

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of vcovca vcovca 3 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of vcovca
    vcovca
    Participant

I’m using the SQ5 as soundcard for Ableton, and some hardware. I want the SQ to listen to incomming midi, so I don’t have to tap tempo. I can’t get this to work. I tried this with Logic, Ableton, with DAW control plugin, withouth, everything (I guess). I know the SQ5 doesn’t listen to midi clock, but the soft buttons listen to midi notes. But no luck….

Profile photo of vcovca
    vcovca
    Participant

Hmmm I’m running macOS Catalina.. could that be the problem?

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

did you search the forum?
    I remember at least one discussion about this…

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi Robbie,

One thing that might catch you out depending on the program (and this is the case for Ableton) is that there are two different ‘standards’ for where middle-C is.
    This means that, for example, to trigger the default global tap-tempo Soft Key #8, you need to send a note on/off to MIDI note #37, which in the majority of cases would be a G3, but in Ableton is a G2…

As long as you are sending the correct note on/off MIDI messages on the correct channel to the SQ without translation though, then can be no issue.
    If the ‘gotcha’ above isn’t the reason for it not working for you, a description of your physical setup and MIDI routings between the DAW and the SQ would be really useful.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Profile photo of vcovca
    vcovca
    Participant

The SQ5 is connected trough USB. Do I need the DAW app to run on my Mac? And what does it need to convert, midi Cc or HUI? On the next gig, a live stream, the SQ5 is not sitting next to me but controlled by Petra. So audio is going trough a 168 stageblock, and I need to figure out the network midi protocol. This shouldn’t be a problem if I work out this bump in the road. I’ve created some scenes now with bpm for fx in them. It this would be more usefull, also when playing live techno 🙂

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Oooo live techno with an SQ, that sounds fun! 🙂

You do not need to use the DAW Control Driver for direct MIDI control, though it makes things a lot easier if you need to communicate using MIDI over TCP/IP, enables you to switch between USB or TCP/IP connection easily and gives you access to the control surface emulations for DAW control. It sits between the DAW and the console too, meaning you can leave your DAW virtually connected without problems when you take away the console or requiring the MIDI connections in the DAW to be rebuilt every time you want to do something slightly different.
    So I would suggest using it, and as long as you are not making use of the control surface emulations (MCU/HUI) for control of a DAW from the console, the best setup in your case would be to use the ‘MIDI Thru’ Protocol option.
    Then connect to the console using the USB or TCP/IP option to find your unit, and patch the computer MIDI I/O to the virtual MIDI port created by the driver.
    After this, it’s simply a case of sending messages from the MIDI protocol document to control things.

The USB and network MIDI messages are the same, so you’re just choosing how to get them to/from the console.
    I should note that there is no real link between network MIDI and a connected expander though – just in case you were thinking about combining the two somehow.

If you need more help with your specific setup that might not be useful to other members of the community here, please feel free to get in contact using support.allen-heath.com and we can go into more detail.

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of vcovca
    vcovca
    Participant

Sweet it works now! Your right, the note is G2 for this to work. On the SQ5, the midi out channel is set to 1. I use Soft8 for my global tempo tap.

For my techno setup, It’s hardware only. So I have to figure out a way for this to work with the Elektron Octatrack.. I have a IconnectMIDI 4+ for midi routing. It does see the SQ5… but no luck, jet.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.