SQ5 Matrix question

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ5 Matrix question

Tagged: 

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of nottooloud nottooloud 1 year, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Vali
    Vali
    Participant

Hi to all users.
    I have a setup containing on 2 mics, 1 sax, 1 accordion, and 2 keyboards.
    My power amplifier is an LA4X from L-Acoustics, which have 4 In XLR connectors. I have two subs connected and two wide tops, also from L-Acoustics.
    I want to send in the subs only my keyboards, not the others instruments and mics, and I found out that I must use a matrix to do that. How do I do this on SQ5?

Thanks and sorry for my english 🙂

Profile photo of Tobi
    Tobi
    Participant

You could use an AUX… Patch a mono aux to some output sockets, connect them to the subs and send the keys only to that aux.

Best Regards,
    Tobias

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

You could also simply high pass the mics.

Profile photo of Vali
    Vali
    Participant

@tobi, but the keyboards must be sent to main LR too. Is possible to send to both main and aux?

@nottooloud, you mean high pass filter mics? Definitely, not a solution IMO.

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

You setup the Aux as Post fader, and only send the Keys to that one.
    On the L/R mix you just mix everything as normal.
    If the Keys get too much in the subs, just go to that Aux and lower the sends until it fits.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

As mentioned set up the subs to be driven from a post fade aux out is fairly standard
    practice.
    What frequency are the top boxes high passed at with in the processing of the amp

Why is not high passing the mic an option?
    Granted in a true aux fed sub PA system the mid high boxes could be already
    high passed around 100hz but with some vocals you may want that a little higher.

In a system that is ran full range just about every input channel can benefit for
    high pass filtering.

Profile photo of Vali
    Vali
    Participant

Why don’t only High pass mics, because the subs I think they’re set in the power amplifier to stop to 180 or 200 Hz (I think, I don’t know right now, I’m not near the power amplifier). I have to set the filter to 200Hz on the mics to be able to pass those low frequencies and this is not good for voices. Is too much. So I need to send the voices and all other instruments, but not the keyboards, only in the tops and not in the subs.
    I will do what you all said, to make that aux.

Thank you all!

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

If you send the voices only to tops that are crossed at 200, you are high passing them at 200.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.