SQ5 – LifeProfessor 2 via USB on M1

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ5 – LifeProfessor 2 via USB on M1

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of the1curly the1curly 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of the1curly
    the1curly
    Participant

Hi guys,

I already saw several setups on Video using LifeProfessor as Plugin Host on the SQ 5, but I haven’t seen anyone using it just over the USB Port.
    So I tried it. and it did not work….

I connected my McBookPro M1 via USB (dongle in between) straight into the SQ5.

The SQ USB Inputs showed up in LP2 and I did a simple 1 to 1 Routing and Inserted the USB I/O into a Mic Channel. Unfortunately, it wasn’t sending Signal into the LP2 chain and back.
    And now I wonder why cause I’m pretty sure I did everything right.

The question, is there a problem with USB 2.0 port and the new McBook Ports?
    Or do you guys have any other Idea what was blocking the Audio coming thru ?

Thanks a lot in advance

Curly

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

How did you route the channel insert on the SQ?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@the1curly

It is definitely possible to use SQ’s built in USB interface with Live Professor on an Apple silicon Mac, so as @nottooloud suggests, double check the routing.
    You could also check the security/permissions in macOS and make sure Live Professor can use the microphone (which equates to ‘can use audio I/O’).

The main thing to be aware of when using USB for external FX is the latency.
    We covered this in a live stream that can be rewatched here – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjPXMSlW8aM

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of nottooloud
    nottooloud
    Participant

I haven’t tried it, but I would guess you’d need to use a tie line from the preamp to the USB, and then select the USB as the channel input. Don’t know how you’d control the gain on the preamp, though.

@keithjah, what’s the correct way to do a USB channel insert?

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@nottooloud

Any external processing can be patched directly from the insert point of the channel in the processing screen.
    You can patch to/from any combination of analogue or digital sockets 🙂

What you’ve suggested would work if you wanted to process pre-all-processing. Both would add the same latency too, just at different points in the signal path.

Oh, and you can adjust gain for any system socket with a preamp from the I/O screen without patching to an input processing channel, just touch the input socket number!

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of the1curly
    the1curly
    Participant

Hi guys,

thanks for all, i have a follow up and i am realy ashamed that i havent switched from SQDrive to USB. I dont know how this has passed my attention, classic state of “i did “everything” right i dont know what to do, lets search for an edgecaseszenario” …

Again thanks for your messages, much appreciated.

So far it works very well so far. LP2 shows me approx. 6 ms Latency (3 In 3 Out ) on 96 Samples Buffersize.
    Ill try and test it now also for stability, and what works and what not before i try to implement it in my work.

Best
    Curly

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.