Sq5 + gld Chrome 80 four Foh/Monitor configuration

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Sq5 + gld Chrome 80 four Foh/Monitor configuration

Tagged: 

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of KeithJ A&H KeithJ A&H 2 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Poli84
    Poli84
    Participant

I would like to connect an sq5 and a gld 80 to build a 48 channel foh / stage system, with 2 Ar2412 stage boxes. It’s possible to do it? thank you
    PS .. no Dante cards…

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

You have at least 2 solid options.

1, Using Dante cards in each console, you can do this.
    2. You may also be able to pull it off by adding a SLink expansion card to the SQ, and then connecting that to the GLD. There are videos about how to do this with Qu, and the setup would be similar. The native SLink port on the SQ would then be connected to your AR2412.
    3. Traditional analog split could be used as well.

1 & 2 would use a single AR2412 box, while 3 would require that each console has its own stagebox.

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi Poli84,

I think there is no way to connect 2x AR2412 to the GLD.
    The dsnake Protocol seems to be only for 32 input channels. So you can NOT dasychain them.
    Don’t know if you can connect the second AR2412 to the ACE option card for the GLD.

At the SQ this is possible via the slink option card. So you can connect both AR2412 but then there is no 3rd Port to do the link to the GLD…

Maybe a GX4824 can be your solution!

greetings,
    dd

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi,
    Sorry I was wrong…
    dsnake is doing 40in, 40out.

But AR2412 can’t be dasychained…

https://community.allen-heath.com/forums/topic/ar2412-ar84

greetings,
    dd

Profile photo of Poli84
    Poli84
    Participant

I have a slink card on SQ5. Viewing on the internet it is possible to connect in cascade an ar2412 with an AB168, for a total of 40 channels. If I put sq on the stage, I have its 16 preamps, so on stage I can have the 48 channels and have the second slink free. The problem is how to connect 48 channels to the GLD ….
    From s link Port…

Profile photo of Poli84
    Poli84
    Participant

Could the Ace Card be a solution? is it possible to connect the slink port to the ace port?

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

The problem is how to connect 48 channels to the GLD ….
    From s link Port…

AR2412 to SQ’s onboard sLink port. Tie lines on the SQ to route the local sockets, and onboard sLink sockets to the sLink I/O card. GLD patched to sLink I/O card.

Profile photo of Poli84
    Poli84
    Participant

ok … last question
    On the description of the SLink Card (for SQ mixer) it is written that it is compatible with the GIGAACE.
    Do you know if it is also compatible with the first generation ACE, the 64 * 64 version?
    Thank you

Profile photo of Scott
    Scott
    Participant

Do you know if it is also compatible with the first generation ACE, the 64 * 64 version?

SLink is only compatible with GigaACE, DX, and dSnake protocols (any one at a time).

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@Poli84

Unfortunately there is no way to do this with the A&H protocols, in brief:
    ACE = Audio and Control over Ethernet
    dSnake = Audio and preamp control over ethernet (but we decided not to go with ‘APE’ for some reason… shame).
    GLD supports the ACE card but runs only dSnake (the ‘brain’ is in the surface, unlike iLive with a mixrack and surface for control).
    The SLink port on SQ supports dSnake, but needs to ‘discover’ an expander.
    The GLD cannot be made to be discovered in the same way that we were able to achieve with Qu (it’s a completely different platform).

Therefore, the only way to connect an SQ and GLD digitally is through use of Dante, Waves or MADI option cards.

You wouldn’t be able to do this with 2x AR2412’s, as you can only have one of these on a port (and it needs to be in the first position), meaning you would need to be using the built-in port on the SQ along with an SLink option card, just to connect the two 2412’s.

So GX4816 to the SLink port on the SQ, tie lines to an option card and then option card to the same option card type in the GLD would be the best way to build the system you describe.
    Or 3x DX168’s + 1x DX Hub in place of the GX.
    Or AR2412 or AB168 + AB168 + SQ Local inputs in place of the GX.
    Or 3x DT168’s with Dante cards in both mixers (though you would only get preamp control from the SQ).

Sorry it’s not a simple one! This is why we’ve been moving to ‘Everything I/O’ over the past few years, so you CAN hook everything up.

Thanks,
    Keith.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.