Sq5 for multitrack recording

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions Sq5 for multitrack recording

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Fabbabo Fabbabo 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Fabbabo
    Fabbabo
    Participant

Hi folks,
    A couple of questions:
    I would like to have the sq 5 as sort of a mobile recording studio. I will purchase a dante card for multitrack recording. First question:
    How good are the sq5 mic preamp?
    Second, How can I insert my favorite mic preamps since there are not dedicate line inputs? Can I bypass the desk mic pre?
    Cheers

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

I am using a SQ6 with the dante card for live sound engineering and recording.
    I would say that the quality of the preamps is more than good enough for recording purpose. If you have sound problems you would have it from the environmental situation rather than from the preamps.
    Will there be people who are not satisfied with the SQ preamp? Sure, but because the choice of the „right“ preamp is a mythical holy grail stuff, this is true for any given preamp. Fact is for me that preamps in the most existing digital mixers or audiointerfaces are good enough for recording.
    Second, you can use the four jack inputs, these are line inputs without mic preamps.
    But if sou want to exchange all mic preampsby others maybe the SQ is not the right choice and you better go the audiointerface route.

Profile photo of Fabbabo
    Fabbabo
    Participant

Thank you 🙂

Profile photo of Piers
    Piers
    Participant

I’ve owned quite a few systems, for exactly the same purpose as you’re looking to use the SQ-5 for. (I recently purchased the SQ-5 for this very reason)
    As a ‘mobile recording setup’ I personally don’t think you’ll find a better sounding mixer to use in its class.
    To my ears, the mic pre’s in the desk sound excellent. I would describe the A&H to have a very fat / clean sound, great FX and a really rock solid solution to what you’re looking for.
    What with Dante & the new Deep plug-ins available, it’s a no brainier. (Well, it was for me anyway!)

Just get one, I think you’ll be very glad you did. 👍

Profile photo of Fabbabo
    Fabbabo
    Participant

I Bought one few months ago. I did several live gigs with it and I like it. Very compact desk with tons of IN/OUT and an overall good functionality and sound for the price. Obviously there are few bugs like in any new mixing desk. Now the Dante card option (as well as Waves) open up new possibilities and since I do plenty of mobile recording sessions why not use the desk? Usually I travel with a Mac Pro hdx and avid I/O and mic preamps. The whole rack is heavy that is why I am considering the sq5. I would love if there was the possibility to insert outboard on a preamp stage, but I guess you guys are right about the quality of the mic amps.
    Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.