SQ5 for monitor mix only

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ5 for monitor mix only

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Hugh Hugh 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Sunshy
    Sunshy
    Participant

Hello, first post. I just started a new job where we have 2 SQ5 mixers. My boss would like to use one for recording the band. He would like me to use the other mixer to create a monitor mix for them so he doesn’t have to worry about it. Is this possible to even hook up the mixers in this way (splitting the signal coming in)? Please let me know what terms to look up. Thank you.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Look up Tie lines

If both mixers are close to the band, just a simple CAT5e cable from SLink port to SLink port gives you 32 mic inputs that each desk can use.

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Connectivity aside what type of recording are you looking at doing, live web streaming
    or multitracking that would be remixed in post production, ect?

Do you have someone to operate both the monitor mix and the recording mix?
    Is there also a mix for a main PA system?

Profile photo of Sunshy
    Sunshy
    Participant

Thank for the input. Some clarification:
    The recordings will be live musical performances (no audience) to be edited and made into a video for streaming later. IOW, it will be remixed in post production.
    The recording SQ5 mixer is in a separate room with a video feed. I am guessing the SQ5 doing the monitor mix will be in the same room as the musicians.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

So, if the SQ doing the mons has enough inputs, then just connect the SLink ports together, set one desk to use the clock of the other, and set up Tie Lines in routing so that the recording desk gets the post preamp from the monitor desk.
    Set up input gains conservatively on mons desk, then don’t touch them during recording. You can adjust trim though.

Profile photo of Sunshy
    Sunshy
    Participant

Thank you Mark. I will look into doing it this way.

Profile photo of Hugh
    Hugh
    Participant

There are several issues that need to be thought through before committing to any specific plan to record these events. Mark has offered a process that many folks prefer, however it is certainly not the only or necessarily the best protocol.

1) It is very clear to me that cueing performers is the long suit of the SQ desks. We must remember the primary design of most all of A&H’s FPGA family is for live SR and not as a recording consoles. IMO planning to use the tactile controls of an SQ for post production activities is fools gold. However the SQ is the best monitor desk that is available today.
    2) The post production process today is generally ITB work: once the analog performance is converted to 1s & 0s most pro two mixing stays digital in the DAW. Given this fact A&H has an optional card slot that will accommodate either a Dante or Waves card for delivering SQ captures directly to the DAW processing tools involved. My Waves card delivers to my Waves Soundgrid network and DAW the pre only capture of the SQ5. I prefer to use the tie lines and this leaves the entire control of stage monitoring with the SQ’s tactile faders and encoders. After conservative pre levels are established use only trims to make needed pre-amp adjustments once the recording levels are set.
    3) The SQ line is limited to 48 inputs that can easily be managed with an SQ5: however I strongly advise the use of up to 3 DX168 expansion stage boxes with a DXhub for the initial capture instead of two SQ5s. The DX168 has D-Live pres that are better than the SQ’s pres and putting the I/Os at the feet of the performing talent is a no brainer.

The bottom line is you do not need two SQ5s to get where you want to go. In fact your wallet does not have to take a big hit to do the job better and sonically you will be much better off going down a different path than originally planned. Two more thoughts to ponder: A) Have a long discussion with professional post production folks about the details involved with your project, their input should be very important. B) Find a reputable A&H dealer to help you to work through these issues.
    Hugh

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.