SQ5 – Dummy Mode through App?

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ5 – Dummy Mode through App?

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Mike C Mike C 3 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of mountainmix
    mountainmix
    Participant

Hi,

we soon will have a wonderful SQ5 installation in outh theatre. Perfect for all larger events with a trained engineer.

But…. during weekdays we sometime have seminars and business meeting with no engineer present. Imagine the Yoga Seminar with the 75 old teacher who want to play some background music… Then, only two wirless microphones and the sound from the beamer (resp. through HDMI from the notebook) is more than sufficient. So, I’m looking for a solution how to ideally:
    x lock the SQ5 in some cabinet
    x give the presenter an Ipad with an App
    x App only shows: volume for Mic 1, volume for Mic 2, volume for HDMI, volume for 3,5 jack (from mobile phone e.g.)
    x there is no possibility to change anything else

Do you have any idea or suggestion who to solve this? I’am afraid opening the SQ5 to this audience would cause a mess – once the wrong button is pressed, an enineer has to come to fix it again.

Thank you for any good idea.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Check out “Guided Access” which is a feature of the iPad. I’ve used it with Qu in the past, and see no reason it wouldn’t work just as well for SQ.

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ipad/ipada16d1374/ipados

With this you will be able to force iPad to use only the SQ app, and lock the touch screen area that you don’t want touched. So you’ll probably end up with just a rectangle active containing 4 faders, though you could allow the mutes too in a second rectangle.
    I’d probably set iPad to show only 8 channels, with blanks in between the ones used, and use long fader view.

mountainmix
    Participant

Hi Mark,
    hmm, this is a pretty unorthodox solution but sounds interesting.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Here’s a completely different idea.
    How about having a small sub mix system on the stage, compact analog mixer
    with as few knobs as possible, wireless mic, audio for video input and a
    bluetooth receiver.

Have that sub mix system summed into the main system at the system processor DSP (if there is one) or hitting an input on the main mixer.

The QU series Q control APP would be perfect for what you want to do, but the SQ does not
    have that option.

mountainmix
    Participant

The forum just kicked me out. I wanted to say “thank you” in addtion.

As I don’t have an ipad currently – are the blanked out parts invisible or just intouchable?

mountainmix
    Participant

Well but that would mean than in a concert situation that I cannot address the two mics and the beamer separatley as they only come as a ready mix into the SQ5?

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Well but that would mean than in a concert situation that I cannot address the two mics and the beamer separatley as they only come as a ready mix into the SQ5?

Those inputs could be split between the two mixers.

I’ve doen this at a couple installs for the very same reason that you asked.
    I set up a small on stage sub mix system and by recalling one of two presets in the
    system DSP they can select between the main FOH mixer or for day to day the small
    stage sub mix system.

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Blank parts are “untouchable” – you can still see them.

From your picture, I’d slide the centre bar up, as info on preamp & delay is not required by these users

Profile photo of Mike C
    Mike C
    Participant

Check out “Guided Access” which is a feature of the iPad. I’ve used it with Qu in the past, and see no reason it wouldn’t work just as well for SQ.

I’m going to keep that in mind, was not aware of that.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.