SQ5 + DANTE + UAD

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ5 + DANTE + UAD

This topic contains 15 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Brian Brian 5 days, 2 hours ago.

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Brian
    Brian
    Participant

@dylanmaudio – Thanks for all of your detailed posts with timing, etc. That is very helpful. I’m also glad to see there are other alternatives to using the Waves system. I just hate the idea of being tied to a single plugin manufacture. (I realize the Waves does support some third party plugins, but the list isn’t very long. That is for sure! https://www.waves.com/support/soundgrid-compatible-third-party-plugins).

I would really appreciate it if you could run some time trials using the Dante I/O card, the Dante PCI card, and Reaper or other DAW to run plugins. This is going to be slower than using the UAD PCI card, but I am curious to know how much slower it would be.

We currently use Dante and DVS on a computer running Reaper to run pitch correction on our vocal channels. I measure the roundtrip at just under 13ms (not including plugin latency). It’s fast enough for that use, but I wouldn’t want to get plugin heavy without getting a Dante PCI card to speed things up. Obviously DVS is the slowest link and I’m guessing that a PCI card would cut that time in half (to perhaps 6-8ms). It wouldn’t be as quick as using the UAD PCI card, but certainly faster than DVS. Honestly that is just a guess however. If you could test that without too much effort, I would really be curious what numbers you come up with (Dante I/O –> Dante PCI card –> Reaper –> Dante PCI card –> Dante I/O card).

Thanks,

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.