SQ5 Connection through AR2412

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ5 Connection through AR2412

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of BradM BradM 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BradM
    BradM
    Participant

Is it possible to route audio from the AR2412 -> SQ5 over the Expander or Monitor port? We are already using the SLINK port (dSNAKE) to get audio to our FOH console (SQ6), so we’re hoping to use our SQ5 as an IEM console. Just trying to figure out how to get our audio to the SQ5.

Thanks!

Profile photo of Søren Steinmetz
    Søren Steinmetz
    Participant

You will need a S-Link expansion card for the SQ6 then, and route the channels needed using Tie-Lines.

The AR/AB/DX stageboxes only connect to one console.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@BradM

Connecting an expander running A&H protocols to a mixer increases the number of I/O sockets available to that mixer, and the combination of mixer and expander can be thought of as a single system.
    The expander automatically matches its firmware and clocks to the mixer it’s connected to, so each expander can only ‘belong’ to one mixer.
    (Note that Dante DT expanders are different and can be connected to multiple mixers as they are essentially stand alone units on a Dante network)

So no, connecting two SQ’s to a single AR2412 is not supported.
    What you can do is have one SQ to AR2412 connection (via SLink using the dSnake protocol) and then a separate SQ to SQ connection (via SLink using gigaACE/GX or a 3rd party protocol).

With an SLink card fitted to your SQ-5 for example, you can run any two of the connections shown in the SLink connections document here – https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SLinkConnections_V1_5_0.pdf

Cheers!
    Keith.

Profile photo of BradM
    BradM
    Participant

@steine thanks. We do have our SQ5 currently connected to our SQ6 that way with an SLink add-on card in the SQ6. I think we used Direct Outs, but eventually we may change that to Tie Lines.

@keithjah as mentioned above, we already have our SQ5 connected via SLink. We also have a Dante card in the SQ5.

What we are looking at doing now is keep the signal chain the same:

AR2412 –(dSnake)-> SQ6 [FOH] –(SLink)-> SQ5 [IEMs] -> Dante (tie lines in & out)

So I guess with this kind of setup, maybe we can use our SQ5 as our “Dante” I/O and then use tie lines between the SQ6 & SQ5 as needed. The more I talk it out, it seems like this will be a valid approach.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
    Brad

Profile photo of BradM
    BradM
    Participant

Sorry, as I was reading back over this, I see I left out some details in my initial post. I did not accurately tell you how we already had things configured. Also, the reason for the question was to try to get audio from the SQ6 & SQ5 both available on a Dante network. We have our SQ5 connected to the 6 already. I was thinking we would have to break that connection and physically move the SQ5, but I think we can keep it where it is now, as long as we can use the Dante card in the SQ5 to route audio to the network.

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

@BradM

You have 3x connections
    – An expander connection which uses an SLink port to connect the AR2412 to one of the SQ’s and increases the I/O count as described.
    – A system to system connection which requires a free SLink port on both SQ’s and carries 128×128 channels
    – A Dante connection through use of the Dante option card

So you will use both SLink ports and both I/O Port slots for the whole setup and the position of the SQ’s and which has a Dante card and which has an SLink card only affects cabling and the position of the connection to a Dante network.
    If you use the SLink card in the FOH position, you need 2 cables between stage and FOH, so it’s really whether or not this is easier than connecting to Dante at the FOH position.

But as far as getting audio to and from the Dante network on both SQ’s this is just a case of routing and use of tie lines.
    With the connections as
    ‘AR2412 <-> SQ6 SLink port ++ SQ6 SLink card <-> SQ5 SLink port ++ SQ5 Dante card <-> Dante network’
    for example, you could get the input sockets of the AR2412 to Dante (unprocessed) by using Tie Lines on the SQ6 from the SLink port to the I/O Port (SLink) and then Tie Lines again on the SQ5 from SLink port to I/O Port (Dante).

Just follow the signal path output to input to output to input etc…

Cheers,
    Keith.

Profile photo of BradM
    BradM
    Participant

Thanks @keithjah !

That helps clarify and reassures me that this is possible. Thank you.

Brad

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.