SQ5 clock issue? and also freezing console

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ5 clock issue? and also freezing console

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Andrew Andrew 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

Hi Guys

So we have had our SQ5 and SQ6 for a few weeks now, and a couple of DX168 racks. I’ve had a few issues that others have had, desks locked up, loss of audio, but the problem I am asking about here is what I think is a clock issue between the SQ5 and the DX168s.

So I have the SQ5 connected to two DX168s in cascade, and I only noticed a problem when I tested the outputs on the second DX168. I had a PC connected to the same rack, and then the output of that rack was going to my amps. I could hear popping over the music I was playing, so I did all the obvious stuff, changed cables, changed computer and changed the audio interface (Interspace Industries PC Balance Box and USB Balance Box), and the popping remained. It was only popping on the outputs from the second rack.

So, after changing the sources, I changed ethercon cables (80m drum to a short ethernet), and turned the desk off and back on. It then got worse, with popping over all outputs on both racks and more noticeable. It seems to change each time I turn the desk off and on again, but I almost always hear the popping. It’s about to go out on a week and a half long hire, so I need to know if I can get this sorted, otherwise it might be back to the old LS9 🙁

The desk is currently on version 1.2.1 r2400 and audio clock source is set to internal. It is worth noting that I have had the SQ6 freeze on me on this version, and it was probably at the same time that I had the MixPad app on my iPad and it had bad connection (router at stage, iPad at FOH in a field).

Thanks for your help,

Andrew

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

I had a PC connected to the same rack

Did I read this right? Are you connecting everything through an ethernet switch including the DX168’s?

What’s the clock source on the SQ-6 set to?

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

Hi Art

Thanks for posting back.

No, the computer is connected into the XLR inputs of the second rack via a PC Balance Box (basically a DI box with a mini jack/USB cable and two XLR outputs). The DX168s are connected together from the SQ5, going from the SLink port on the console into port A of the first rack, and port B of said rack is connected into port A of the second rack, and all racks are set to cascade.

The audio clock source is set to internal on the SQ5. I did try setting it to SLink, and it gave me the tick, but intermittently changed to a cross. Doing this didn’t seem to affect the popping sounds.

I’m home now, but I will continue working on it tomorrow morning so will continue fiddling and changing Ethernet cables as well. Do we know if there is a particular spec of cable to use? I’m currently using CAT5e, and since I noticed the sounds am not using anything longer than 5m.

Thanks again,

Andrew

Profile photo of Nicola A&H
    Nicola A&H
    Keymaster

Hi Andrew,

We recommend using STP CAT5e or higher. More info here.

If the cables don’t solve the problem, please get in touch with our local distributor (Audio Technica in the UK) or submit a ticket to our Support team here, and we’ll help troubleshooting further.

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

Thanks Nicola

The long run I am using (80m) is the Canford CAT5e-F. It’s spec shows it as screened, not shielded. I’m not sure if that is the same thing and Canford are just using slightly different wording, but I will try it with some CAT6 cables we have knocking about as well.

I may just get in touch with AT anyway, as we did purchase off those guys as well.

I will post back with my findings.

Thanks,

Andrew

Profile photo of Andrew
    Andrew
    Participant

Thanks again Nicola

It turns out, the cable is probably good. The problem is we aren’t using shielded RJ45 connectors. I attached a short CAT6A lead which was shielded, and the popping seems to have vanished. It also did not return when I reconnected the 80m drum, presumably because any static has now discharged. I will replace the ends on the drum and post back if I have any more issues, but for now, that seems to be the fix.

Regards,

Andrew

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.