SQ5 and 2 buss outboard gear

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ5 and 2 buss outboard gear

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of ioTon ioTon 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of QLE
    QLE
    Participant

I currently own A&H analog Zed 12 FX mixer that has dedicated bus insert which I use to process audio signal before sending it out. I have it hooked up to SSL Fusion, which also sends signal to SSL G-comp.

How would I use my Fusion and G-Comp with SQ5 on main buss?

Thanks.

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Hi QLE,

You can use it in the same way. The insertpoint of the mixbusses is pre processing. You can route the insert send signal to any Socket e.g. local XLRs, and get it back in to the system.

Greetings,
    d

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of QLE
    QLE
    Participant

Thanks, ioTon; your response is super helpful indeed.

For clarification purposes, I am in the market for a digital mixer and currently debating over Midas M32R Live or Allen & Heath SQ5.

With your guide, it seems that I should be able to use XLR Out 9 and 10 to send the mixed signal to Fusion and return the processed signal via ST1 using balanced cables (to save XLR inputs), where it’s then routed back to the main mix. Using the same technique, I should (in theory) be able to patch in my Lexicon MX400XL (XLR Out 7,8 => ST2).

I hope I am making the right choice with SQ5.

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Yes this would be possible.

In my opinnion, terms of routing flexibyllity SQ is the leader in it’s price segment.

https://youtu.be/GxMyrGDmLIE?t=29

If you wan’t to know about the disadvanteges of SQ, have e look into the feature suggestions 😉
    greetings,
    dd

Profile photo of QLE
    QLE
    Participant

Here’s a follow-up to my original post.

Yes, it is absolutely possible to add analog outboard gear to the main stereo buss via insert! I connected outgoing left and right to output 9 and 10, and brought the signal back in via ST1. My first attempt to enable insert ended up with a massive feedback loop because ST1 by default feeds to the main too. I had to ensure that ST1 is muted, and make sure there’s no routing. After that, insert works well. I have now a wonderful buss processing with SQ-5 using SSL Fantom + SSL-style buss compressor. Success!

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Profile photo of QLE
    QLE
    Participant

LOL when I say SSL Fantom I meant SSL Fusion 😀

Profile photo of ioTon
    ioTon
    Participant

Nice!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.