SQ Windows distorts/burbles but DAW all OK

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ troubleshooting SQ Windows distorts/burbles but DAW all OK

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Alex A&H Alex A&H 4 years ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of BRS
    BRS
    Participant

I’ve had this from the get go.

My S5 is great using Reaper – everything works fine, no issues that I’ve experienced so far.

But it does not work well with Window’s sounds. Youtube videos, local playback stuff with VLC, Spotify etc. etc. all suffer from a digital distortion. It’s worse when I set the Windows sound device to 16Bit and better when it’s set to 96KHz 24 bit (which is what the desk runs at) but it’s still there big time. I can’t see any way to change the buffer settings for the SQ as a Windows device.

I only have one sound device – the SQ. If I disconnect and connect a cheap Behringer box (UMC22), everything is fine everywhere.

I looked on the forums and found something under QU but no resolutions in there. My old QU24 didn’t have this problem on my system, just the SD5.

I could route the Behringer through my SQ5 and set that in Windows but that is fiddly and seems a shame.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

XP? Vista?
    ASIO or WDM?

Profile photo of BRS
    BRS
    Participant

Windows 10
    WDM (not sure how you’d use ASIO for Windows)?

In Reaper it’s ASIO.

Buffer set to 1024 – tried setting it higher but it just reverts.

Profile photo of SteffenR
    SteffenR
    Participant

Settings for ASIO and WDM are different
    buffer settings in the SQ control panel not affect WDM

do you use USB 3 or 2?
    try to use an USB 2.0 port

some USB3.0 implementations are very poor

Profile photo of BRS
    BRS
    Participant

USB2.0

I’ve tried different sockets, a 3rd party USB card, the ones on the motherboard, the ones on the front and three different USB leads. All the same 🙁

Thank you for trying to help!!

Profile photo of Alex A&H
    Alex A&H
    Keymaster

Hi BRS,

I recommend going through the troubleshooting article here: https://support.allen-heath.com/Knowledgebase/Article/View/troubleshooting-issues-with-the-sq-usb-b-interface

If you still have the problem, please go to support.allen-heath.com to start a support ticket.

Thanks!
    Alex

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.