SQ Waves Setups

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ Waves Setups

Tagged: 

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Flo84 Flo84 5 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m looking the Sq waves card for live sound…
    On the waves website I can see 2 solutions :
    – Waves servers or,
    – Waves rack directly on PC

The first is right for live with low latency and realtime processing…
    But for the 2nd latency depend from the computer used…

Anyone have already used the waves system (on other desks…)with the differents solutions ?

Is it conceivable to use the waves rack on pc for live ? Or absolutely we need the waves server?

Many thanks!

Profile photo of Art
    Art
    Participant

Anyone have already used the waves system (on other desks…)with the differents solutions ?

Is it conceivable to use the waves rack on pc for live ? Or absolutely we need the waves server?

I have used Waves plugins live starting with the X32/M32 via USB. Then I moved to X32/M32 via MADI. Then to X-WSG card. Then to GLD with Waves card.

The short answer is “no”. It is not conceivable to run Waves plugins without a server, unless you plan on using it only for recording or using delay or reverb plugins which, by their nature, are delayed. Otherwise, there is too much latency.

I did play with it on the SQ without the Waves card. Not good for live. I have the Waves card on order now.

I use an Extreme Server (because I had an implementation of LV1 prior to my dLive), but in many situations, you can get away with an Impact Server if you’re not planning on taxing it too much.

Profile photo of ianhind
    ianhind
    Participant

You definitely want a server to go along with the Waves card.

Going over regular USB causes way too much latency, and on top of that you are at risk of software/computer going down which will completely eliminate your audio stream.

With the server, if the software (Multirack SoundGrid) crashes, audio will continue on with the server hosting the streams.

Also, with a server, you can bring your latency down to 0.8ms, which is possible to mix IEM’s with.

I have zero experience with the SQ series and a SoundGrid network as it isn’t out to the public yet, but from my previous experiences on SoundGrid networks, it’s basically a “don’t leave home without it” scenario.

Profile photo of TonmeisterDaniel
    TonmeisterDaniel
    Participant

Same opinion here.
    I use a server one.
    Can’t wait for the waves card!!

Profile photo of Flo84
    Flo84
    Participant

Thank you all for your feedback! it confirms what I originally thought.
    Highly the next firmware 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.