SQ w/ 2 AR2412??

Forums Forums SQ Forums SQ general discussions SQ w/ 2 AR2412??

This topic contains 21 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Swell Swell 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Profile photo of j4k3st4ff
    j4k3st4ff
    Participant

Hey,

So I’m looking at getting an SQ5 for a small touring package I’m putting together. Just trying to work out the best IO route. I’m not going to go for the DX168s due to the extra costs and because 2 of them is 8u rack space. Now, I know the Dsnake protocol only handles 40 input channels but has anyone tried connecting 2 AR2412s to an SQ to see if the first 16 inputs and 8 outputs work on the “linked” AR2412? I’d rather get 2 AR2412 than 1 AR2412 and 1 AB168 due to the AR2412s generally being cheaper at the moment and it taking up less rack space…

It probably doesn’t work but i’d just like to have a definite yes or no before purchasing.

Ta

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

You got the last line right 😊

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

How many inputs/outputs do you actually need? AR2412+AR804 works for 32in/16 out

j4k3st4ff
    Participant

@gcumbee So you can confirm you’ve personally tried plugging 2 AR2412 boxes into an SQ and the second “linked” one did not work at all?

@biggsounds I know that works for 32/16. If I’m going to be using the AR racks I’d like to get the full 40/20 the system is capable of but the 2 AR2412 take up less rack space than an AR2412 + AB1608. Plus it opens up more opportunities being able to take an AR2412 out to put with another system etc or use it with an SLink card and another Cat5 tun to achieve all 48 channels at stage…

Profile photo of MarkPAman
    MarkPAman
    Participant

Just AR2412 racked & then put the AB168 next to the drum kit/whatever – can save a lot of cable?

j4k3st4ff
    Participant

@markpaman I’ll be running a full line-system and split which will all be racked, thanks for your suggestion though… All I need to know is a definite yes or no on whether 2x AR2412 run together from someone that has actually tried it themselves.

MarkPAman
    Participant

Does this help?

https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SQ7_SLinkConnections_V1_2_0.pdf

I know I’ve also seen a post from one of the A&H staff saying that 2 AR2412 is not possible (on one Slink port), but I can’t find it right now.

j4k3st4ff
    Participant

@markpaman I’ve seen the connections PDF and obviously 2 AR2412 isn’t on there hence my question on whether anyone has tried it. I know the full 48/24 channels wouldn’t be usable but I just want to know if anyone has tried linking them and whether the first 16/08 channels on the “linked” AR2412 worked…

At this point I’m going to take it as a loss and it’s not gonna work. My only gripe with A&H is the I/O options are so chunky and rack space hungry. Why has the AB1608 got to be bigger than the AR2412 even though there’s less I/O on it? That’s just annoying!

Profile photo of GCumbee
    GCumbee
    Participant

I have not tried it but it has been questioned before and my understanding from the factory is it would not work. The console cannot address 2 2412’s

Profile photo of Maxdrums
    Maxdrums
    Participant

The DSnake Protocol only support 40 Channel

j4k3st4ff
    Participant

@maxdrums As my original post states I am fully aware the Dsnake protocol only supports 40 input channels. But there is nothing to state that the first 16 inputs on a linked AR2412 would show up giving you the full 40 channels…

MarkPAman
    Participant

IIRC, an SQ can apparently “see” the DX32 box, but it’s not yet recommended to use it as it may not be 100% stable.

Even if somebody were to try 2 AR2412s and could see 40 channels, I’d not want to risk an unsupported configuration at a gig.

Profile photo of Biggsounds
    Biggsounds
    Participant

As @markpaman said, the DX32 will work, but it’s not officially supported… a colleague who has tried it reported running it for several days on test and it eventually disconnected, he was under the impression that the errors just build up til the point where the connection becomes unstable – it’d PROBABLY be fine to run all day on a festival, but again until we get the tick from A&H it’s not a risk I’d be willing to take on a live show (I do wish they’d hurry up and say yes, as it’s a very under-utilised piece of my kit in the mean time, but perfect for what I want otherwise on smaller shows!)

Profile photo of KeithJ A&H
    KeithJ A&H

Hi All,

It is not possible to daisy chain 2x AR2412’s.
    When connecting two units, the i/o on the second unit is combined with the i/o of the first and everything is packaged together on the connection to/from the desk.
    So the units are connected as a whole rather than sockets just being added sequentially.

Thanks for linking to the SLink connections document @markpaman , there is also an updated version for V1.3 that gives more information on protocols and addresses some frequently asked questions (like this one!).
    https://www.allen-heath.com/media/SLinkConnections_V1_3_0.pdf.

Cheers!
    Keith.

Profile photo of Mfk0815
    Mfk0815
    Participant

Hello Keith
    Thank you for the clarification. But would it be possible to add also the information of how much additional latency we have to expect when using the Stageboxes? There are some rumours about the latency of the SRC when using the dSnake devices and also when using the DX Hub. That also would be helpful to make the right decision.

Thanks
    Klaus

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.